Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Misfire cyl 2 mystery, engine shakes, low idle

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 12:45 PM
neonproblems
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question Misfire cyl 2 mystery, engine shakes, low idle

I have a 2005 dodge SX (Neon) 2.0 litre, 4 cyl, auto. it has shaking and vibrations while in idle, when I get up to higher speed it isn't as bad. When the car is in Drive Gear and I am stopped at a light, the idle drops down to almost 500 rmp, the car acts like its on the verge of dying, lots of vibration/shaking with it. I have replaced the plugs, coil pack, cleaned all the fuel injectors. When I start the car up and it is running, I get interference in the engine when I disconnect the injector connector on cylinders 1, 3, and 4. Not on 2. I have even put a different injector in cyl 2 and still no interference when I disconnect it. I have cleaned all the injectors. The engine acts like nothing happened on cyl 2. All the other cylinders the engine bogs down a bit and then auto adjusts when I disconnect the fuel injector.

I took a multimeter to the connectors on the fuel injection connections, while the car is running, I get a full 13 volts on cyl 2, when I connect the tester to the positive and negative connectors. When I do the same test on cyl 3 and 4 I get only 1 volt; however, on the the ones with 1 volt reading, when I leave the positive tester terminal in the fuel injector connector and put the negative side of the tester on the cars ground, I get a full 12-13 volt reading. Is that normal? When I reverse it on the negative side of the connector for cyl 3 and 4 only showing 1 volt, and put the negative lead up in the connector and the positive to the batter, still no 12 volt. Could this mean a grounding problem?

Plus the new plugs I put in, are all fawled up with black residue, not direct motor oil, but more like a black residue. I cleaned the plugs, checked their gap again, and put them back in, I even reversed the plugs for cyl 2 with 4, vise-versa, still misfire on cyl 2. When I pull up on the spark plug connector while car is running I can hear the sparks plugs firing on all 4 cylinders.

When I pull the spark plug rubber insulators up from inside the motor, there is no oil visible. Cyl 2 though has a brown rusty look inside towards the bottom.

I have checked for vacuum leaks, none. I checked the air filter, it wasn't too bad. I also replaced the PVC valve.

The following users liked this post:
Midwellman (12-10-2021)
Old 12-10-2021, 09:11 PM
Midwellman
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by neonproblems
I have a 2005 dodge SX (Neon) 2.0 litre, 4 cyl, auto. it has shaking and vibrations while in idle, when I get up to higher speed it isn't as bad. When the car is in Drive Gear and I am stopped at a light, the idle drops down to almost 500 rmp, the car acts like its on the verge of dying, lots of vibration/shaking with it. I have replaced the plugs, coil pack, cleaned all the fuel injectors. When I start the car up and it is running, I get interference in the engine when I disconnect the injector connector on cylinders 1, 3, and 4. Not on 2. I have even put a different injector in cyl 2 and still no interference when I disconnect it. I have cleaned all the injectors. The engine acts like nothing happened on cyl 2. All the other cylinders the engine bogs down a bit and then auto adjusts when I disconnect the fuel injector.

I took a multimeter to the connectors on the fuel injection connections, while the car is running, I get a full 13 volts on cyl 2, when I connect the tester to the positive and negative connectors. When I do the same test on cyl 3 and 4 I get only 1 volt; however, on the the ones with 1 volt reading, when I leave the positive tester terminal in the fuel injector connector and put the negative side of the tester on the cars ground, I get a full 12-13 volt reading. Is that normal? When I reverse it on the negative side of the connector for cyl 3 and 4 only showing 1 volt, and put the negative lead up in the connector and the positive to the batter, still no 12 volt. Could this mean a grounding problem?

Plus the new plugs I put in, are all fawled up with black residue, not direct motor oil, but more like a black residue. I cleaned the plugs, checked their gap again, and put them back in, I even reversed the plugs for cyl 2 with 4, vise-versa, still misfire on cyl 2. When I pull up on the spark plug connector while car is running I can hear the sparks plugs firing on all 4 cylinders.

When I pull the spark plug rubber insulators up from inside the motor, there is no oil visible. Cyl 2 though has a brown rusty look inside towards the bottom.

I have checked for vacuum leaks, none. I checked the air filter, it wasn't too bad. I also replaced the PVC valve.
Having the exact same thing going on plus code 0304. Lost

Old 12-10-2021, 10:05 PM
neonproblemsnow
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The misfire was from a bad computer

It was the computer failing that caused the misfire. Ended up going to a wrecker, getting a used brain, then had a mechanic program it to the fob and all. The used computer set me back about $100, and the programing about $150.00.. I hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Misfire cyl 2 mystery, engine shakes, low idle