Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

700$ to replace belt tensioner?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014, 03:17 PM
wescream1
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 700$ to replace belt tensioner?

I have a 2000 dodge neon that makes a squeaking noise when the car is started. It is coming from the serpentine belt. When it gets wet, it get quiet, then starts up again.

I took it to get it checked, the original, at a glance, diagnosis was that it needed a new pulley and serpentine belt - total = 200$ parts and labor.

That was just a quick visual diagnosis though but i did not go ahead with it as i wanted them to make sure that's what it was.

Took it again and they took off the belt and inspected it this time. They say i need a belt tensioner, i believe the mechanic mentioned i need the entire thing.

Quote - 700$+ for parts and labor
Does that sound about right? the diagnosis and the cost?

Old 01-13-2014, 05:26 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Depends on the shop, but that work does take time. That being said, I'd do it myself. Where are you located?

Old 01-13-2014, 09:46 PM
wescream1
Rookie

im in chicago
the part the said is like 450 and labor 250

does that seem expensive for the part?
i cant seem to find it online.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:08 PM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Not at all. Do you have tools? Really is not hard at all. Could get you through it easy enough.

Old 01-13-2014, 10:26 PM
wescream1
Rookie

Any chance you know the link for where i can get the part?
That's really the only thing im unsure of - getting the correct part

Old 01-16-2014, 09:09 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker
Default Timing Belt Tnsioner

That part is around $150 here, and I can install one in about an hour on my car. That is highway robbery. You guys gotta get into doing your own work. You could fly me round trip for hat, and I would bring a tensioner

www.modernperformance.com
www.rockauto.com

Last edited by Ghost Neon 2; 01-16-2014 at 10:13 AM.
Old 01-21-2014, 10:54 AM
steve die
Amateur

I'm with Ghost, I looked into the pully for my brothers 01 briefly in case it had to be done. It was something like $200 here, before any of my discounts I find all over the place I find it hard to believe its $450...the $250 for labor is about right, but I'd do it myself. Take a few hours of my life; depends what your time is worth.

If they already had the thing apart they should have inspected the timing belt while they were there. It could be the tensioner for the timing belt, mine was long gone when i did my belt at 170k (yeah....WAY overdue).

If i was in your place and was going to have someone do it I'd find a friend that does automotive. Slip him $100-150 and reimburse him for the parts. Have him do the timing belt, tensioner and water pump while you are there. If you go with a shop have them quote you for timing belt, water pump and tensioner (plus your tensioner pulley). Then see if you can bring in the parts yourself and just pay labor. You can get the gates timing kit (belt, tensioner and water pump for $70) then just need your tensioner pulley.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Ghost Neon 2
Record Breaker

Back when mjns went bad, I snagged a tensioner off a yard car to get me by until the a new piece could be bought. Was a gamble, but still an option.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:51 PM
Neon_2014

Are you sure that it is not loose alternator belt making the noise. In this case, you just need to tighten the alternator belt.

Old 07-29-2014, 09:11 AM
andthatsalrightwithme
Rookie

Originally Posted by wescream1
I have a 2000 dodge neon that makes a squeaking noise when the car is started. It is coming from the serpentine belt. When it gets wet, it get quiet, then starts up again.

I took it to get it checked, the original, at a glance, diagnosis was that it needed a new pulley and serpentine belt - total = 200$ parts and labor.

That was just a quick visual diagnosis though but i did not go ahead with it as i wanted them to make sure that's what it was.

Took it again and they took off the belt and inspected it this time. They say i need a belt tensioner, i believe the mechanic mentioned i need the entire thing.

Quote - 700$+ for parts and labor
Does that sound about right? the diagnosis and the cost?
Probably too late now but I just bought the tensioner pulley last night for 23 and some change and will hopefully, be doing it myself or myself and a neighbor. I mean, it is visible so why not? I don't have 700 to give to someone else for something I can likely do myself.

Quick Reply: 700$ to replace belt tensioner?