Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

05 Neon overheated, now no drive (forward), just reverse

Old 07-02-2015, 01:24 AM
outadaredj
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Neon overheated, now no drive (forward), just reverse

My daughter has an 05 dodge neon with 125k+ miles on it. I recently replaced; Water pump, timing belt, timing belt pulley, serpentine belt, serpentine belt pulley, starter, in/out speed sensors and the transmission solenoid.

She and (a few friends) replaced the thermostat and heater core.
All within the past year.

This past week, she was on her way to the desert, through the desert (New Mexico at at least 100°) when the neon overheated. I was not there, but she explained that everything was boiling. She later pointed out the "boil over" happened at the radiator cap (even though this cap is not on the radiator, I'll call it that because that's what it looks like. Btw, it sits on the thermostat housing), the cooling bottle and at the transmission dip stick.

I replaced the coolant and found the reason for the overheat. When replacing the heater core, it appears they shifted the engine forward to get to the core, but never shifted it back. This smashed the radiator fan's electrical connector, and caused it to pop out (unplug). The overheating problem is solved (uhh...I hope).

Now, to the meat and potatoes:
After the overheat, the neon will not shift into drive or any of the forward gears. It kicks into reverse as normal, then out when put into neutral, again, as normal. But when I put it in drive, nothing. No sound, no feeling, no trying. Same with the rest of the forward gears (2nd and 3rd or 2,3 I believe). I'm sure some of the fluid boiled out, but checking the dip stick, it reads a little above normal. It's nearly in the same place it was the day before they left. I check the code (on,off,on,off,on,off) and it came up P0700. That's the code for transmission trouble (duh).

I likely will re-replace the trans fluids and filter, but was wondering if it's possible to burn a transmission out. I also saw a few posts that stated that a new battery fixed a similar problem. I was also worried about the solenoid and sensors I just put in. Could she have cooked them too?

I appreciate any input, and if it sounds like I half-decently know what I'm talking about, it's only because this forum and jumping into the engine to save a few dollars.

Thanks Again!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 Neon overheated, now no drive (forward), just reverse