DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge Neon (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-neon-6/)
-   -   05 Neon 2.0 no crank no start no click (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-neon/419826-05-neon-2-0-no-crank-no-start-no-click.html)

Dave Rogers 11-26-2018 08:21 AM

05 Neon 2.0 no crank no start no click

Hi ,
I have a 05 Neon 2.0/automatic with 150k miles.

Currently it is no crank no start no click.

All the dash lights come on. radio, etc. NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT self test on key turn

I had what I assume a loose ground wire on the battery. ( I would whack the ground battery post with a wrench and it would start for a few days, but now nothing.)
It was also cranking when this battery terminal thing happened, but i assume it wasn't getting enough juice.
Cleaned up the terminal, no go..
replaced the battery, no go.

cleaned up engine/body grounds, no go.

When turning the key, no dimming of the lights etc, ( radio shuts off like when starting the car)

I jumped the starter relay with a paper clip ( 30 and 86 pin) and the starter cranks like a boss.
Also, swapped the starter relay with the known good horn relay and still nothing.

Since jumping the relay turns it over, i assume everything beyond my starter , ground, etc is good.

continuity test on all grounds and power to starter ( 12v) are good.

tested all small fuses inside and out and there good.

Am i correct in assuming if i get dash lights, etc, ignition pin is good?

I feel like i have it nailed down to the Neutral sensor or the ECM.

Shifting to N vs P doesn't make a difference.

Is there actually a neutral sensor to replace or does it all get handled by the ECM?

Trying to avoid getting a new ECM for troubleshooting purposes if Im missing a ground or something stupid..

Aside from the NO CHECK ENGINE LIGHT SELF test, it acts like it is not in Park.

gave all the cables/sensors the "thump test"

Any ideas/advice internet? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Dave

Dave Rogers 11-27-2018 06:35 AM

--Edit: sorry, the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DOES COME ON after about 15 sec of leaving the key alone and turned.

The red circle ( Security/AntiTheft light) is also on solid and constant. From what Ive read of this, could be caused by bad wiring to ECM or no comm to ECM or a faulty security code. ( I dont have a code reader or a security system.)

going to try disconnecting the brand new battery again and doing a full discharge of the power after work today.

I tried finding a 5v reference in what i believe to be the throttle sensor but couldn't . going to try again today now that i know a bit more about it. If ECM is bad, ( or if a sensor is shorted) , there will be less than 5v on the sensor to ground.

Apparently the 05 Neon doesnt have a neutral safety switch, but rather it is handled by the Transmisson Control Module ( TCM). It is buried in the tranny worse than your weird uncle Victor. so im hoping to avoid that.

I'm assuming the ignition pin is good since the key bounces back. Am I wrong in assuming this? Thinking out loud at this point. Oh where art thou, Internet Dodge Neon gurus?