Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

new owner

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2019, 12:00 PM
odie13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new owner, mystery engine

Hey guys...new Neon owner here. I scored a nice little 2005 SXT at the local police auction. pretty clean considering most the cars there are totally trashed.

Anyway, first order of business is a timing belt change since the last change is unknown. the car has 164k on the clock and supposedly not the original engine.

How do I positively identify the engine? where is the engine numbers or data plate? Not the VIN. I believe there are changes to the timing belt tensioner based upon year. 2 difference mechanical tensioners or a hyd one.

the issue is that the car was in impound and there are no records of any type. There was "for sale" written all over the windows and it did say "new engine" which really means the original motor blew up or something an used motor at best or possible just a so called rebuild which could be anything from a new t-belt, rebuilt heads or any other hack job.

the engine may or may not be original to the car or correct for the year. The engine is pretty clean looking for 164k. How can I identify the correct series/year of 2.0 engine? it's the SOHC.

Last edited by odie13; 05-06-2019 at 12:15 PM. Reason: title
Old 05-07-2019, 09:30 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome!

Old 05-23-2019, 01:47 PM
odie13
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well I found a timing belt tag on the car...unfortunately nothing was written on it. no date or mileage. the outer cover is missing though and it and the water pump look pretty new. So I guess I'm good for a little while.

plenty of other stuff to do. already did trans filter, clean brake reservoir and bleed brakes, trans mount, coolant flush. up coming is motor mount and torque struts, control arms and axles.

should be a solid little runner when it's all done.

Quick Reply: new owner