Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Top mods for better milage.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2006, 11:39 PM
Topher
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Top mods for better milage.

I do a lot of highway driving in my 2000 Neon and am looking to do some work on it to get some better gas milage. I was thinking about new air intake, and under drive pulley but I cant seem to find one that isnt on ebay. Also what CAI do you guys recommend, I definatly dont want to buy cheap and have two buy twice. Thanks for any help.

Old 03-20-2006, 11:53 AM
whyte69
Veteran
Default RE: Top mods for better milage.

For the Air Intake go with an AEM or a K&N, both are near the exact same. A good Underdrive Pulley can be found at Howell Autotmotive.
While you're at it, you could probably replace the spark plugs and wires, if you haven't already. Run a container of fuel injector cleaner through the system. Keep your tires inflated to spec which is most likely 35 psi.

All of this should definitely help with increased fuel efficiency as I've just finished doing the same to my car. I'm going to be adding an exhaust system to my car to allow for better flow-through. If you're willing to take it that far, I'd suggest the same.

Old 03-20-2006, 03:53 PM
musclecarneon

It's a neon, it already gets 35+ mpg, how much better does it have to be?

Old 03-20-2006, 04:43 PM
Topher

Thanks for the info whyte. If its not much trouble, could you let me know how the new mods perform on your car? Im hoping to get around 2-3 more mpg out of my car.

And musclecarneon, the less money the oil tycoons get and the more the aftermarket autoparts industry gets, the better.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:09 AM
whyte69
Veteran

they perform great. It feels a bit peppier on the uptake and it drives pretty smooth. I'm getting near 30 MPG in the city which is pretty impressive.

I live in Alberta, Canada and we've got LOTS of oil up here. We'll have oil for another two generations yet, we've got more than the Saudi's do up here. We get money back from the government in the form of cash rebates. Still, I don't like the idea of being hijacked at the pump every week. Why should a group of countries dictate what we pay for gas? Oil/Gas is pretty freakin' plentiful, why are we paying so much for it? Anything I can do to prevent paying out the *** for gas makes me happy.

Other things you should do when trying to save gas is to make sure that your air filter stays clean, your tires stay full (if you ever get new tires, don't fill them with air, fill them with Nitrogen gas, I'll make a thread on this later), change your oil often, replace your spark plugs and wires every 60K. DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT get a Turbonator. It's that thing that goes inside an air intake tube that's supposed to stir up the air to create a better air/fuel mixture. In theory this should work great but I've heard that many of them actually decrease your mileage, and a friend of mine even had one break apart INSIDE his engine.

Old 03-21-2006, 12:07 PM
71RoadRunner
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: whyte69
DO NOT, I repeat, DO NOT get a Turbonator. It's that thing that goes inside an air intake tube that's supposed to stir up the air to create a better air/fuel mixture.
AKA: The Tornado

The best things you can do for increased fuel mileage are (and I know some repeat what has already been mentioned):
Plain $.99 Champion plugs changed every year or two.
MSD Super Conductor plug wires.
The CAI is best, I recommend the K & N Typhoon, but simply using the K & N replacement stock style filter should do well and cost less.
As long as the engine doesn't leak or burn any oil, then switch to a good full synthetic oil like Mobil 1.
It would be more difficult, but switching the transmission fluid to synthetic would also help.
A good quality cat-back exhaust will also help, such as the Mopar Performance one which is stainless steel and will never rust away.

These are in addition to the previously mentioned suggestions.

Quick Reply: Top mods for better milage.