Dodge Neon The sport compact car that took the world by storm. the Dodge Neon. Depending on the trim level you get, this sporty ride has something to offer everyone.

Installing a stereo

Old 07-14-2004, 03:35 AM
mephisto
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing a stereo

I have 2004 neon. I just bought a stock stereo and I need help installing it. Any help would be great.

Old 07-14-2004, 04:00 AM
KlerricK
Professional
Default RE: Installing a stereo

Help with what exactly? taking the dash apart? wiring it? and what do you mean you bought a stock stereo? do you mean aftermarket? I can help, but i need more info!

Old 07-14-2004, 04:15 AM
mephisto

Help with what exactly?
taking the dash apart?yes
wiring it?yes
and what do you mean you bought a stock stereo?a stock stereo that i bought on ebay, form a2004 neon cd palyer.
do you mean aftermarket?no
I can help, but i need more info! thanks

Old 07-14-2004, 04:20 AM
KlerricK
Professional

Dash comes apart like so: You must pop out the two air vents up top, a small flat-headed screwdriver can help you there. Then pop out the trim piece that surrounds the radio/ac cluster. There are four hex bolts holding in the radio. Undo all four and out comes the radio. If you are just swapping a cassette/AM/FM radio to the CD/AM/FM radio, the plugs should be the same just plug in and put dash back together. If it were up to me, I would invest in an aftermarket radio which would give you stronger, cleaner power and room to add amps/subs/etc in the future. If you know that you will not be doing that, then maybe the stock radio is good enough for you. Hope this helps, if it doesn't let me know.

- Chris

Old 07-14-2004, 12:49 PM
techmanbd
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: KlerricK

Dash comes apart like so: You must pop out the two air vents up top, a small flat-headed screwdriver can help you there. Then pop out the trim piece that surrounds the radio/ac cluster. There are four hex bolts holding in the radio. Undo all four and out comes the radio. If you are just swapping a cassette/AM/FM radio to the CD/AM/FM radio, the plugs should be the same just plug in and put dash back together. If it were up to me, I would invest in an aftermarket radio which would give you stronger, cleaner power and room to add amps/subs/etc in the future. If you know that you will not be doing that, then maybe the stock radio is good enough for you. Hope this helps, if it doesn't let me know.

- Chris
Forgot one thing at least in the 2004's, after you pop out the vents there are 2 screws behind them that holds the trim piece to the dash,

Old 07-31-2004, 12:31 AM
mephisto

Thanks.

Old 08-04-2004, 11:21 PM
sushi423
Veteran

Can i use these directions for my 1998 Neon... If the dash is different then please let me know how to take that off. Im getting my car tommarow and when i get paid im going to put in my alpine mp3 player.

Thank You

Old 08-05-2004, 03:33 AM
KlerricK
Professional

They ARE not the same. With a 1st gen Neon, you have to pull down the ash tray and depress the black piece in the center of it. The ash tray will then slide out. With that out of the way, you must start prying away at the plastic trim piece that surrounds the radio. Once this is out, undo the screws and, tada, out comes the radio. You will need a mounting kit and a wiring kit to make your life easy. These are readily available at a local car stereo store....

Old 08-05-2004, 04:39 AM
sushi423
Veteran

I have plenty of experience with installing cds players other than that every cars dash is deiffernt so i CAN't do every install wihtout help.

So yea, thanks for helping me wiht the neons dash im sure ill figure it out.

Old 07-01-2011, 01:01 AM
mgill1141
Default 2001 neon stereo removal

I just bought a 2001 neon and I want to change the radio system but I'm not sure how to remove my old system, or is it the same as a newer neon were a pop the vents out on the dash?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing a stereo