Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Any 4WHEELER Riders????

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 PM
cookie_monstr
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Any 4WHEELER Riders????

man that is a nice a quad. ill try to post pics of mine.

Old 09-07-2007, 02:22 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

My ride Bambardier (noe Can-Am), has pulled that Honda in the background out of the mud many times. I used to have a Honda, problem with them is no locker and no engine braking. Smoothest ride in the industry but gets stuck where my current ride goes right through. Also because of the lack of engine braking it can go sideways and flip on slippery downhills.

[IMG]local://upfiles/67238/5524D7FF28704579A039E91244E6184D.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/67238/8EEE8A07F9044C56A99285F84788E5C4.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-08-2007, 01:07 AM
Cumminnotstrokin
Professional

My Banshee

Old 09-08-2007, 04:13 PM
savage.basher

I used to have a Honda, problem with them is no locker and no engine braking. Smoothest ride in the industry but gets stuck where my current ride goes right through. Also because of the lack of engine braking it can go sideways and flip on slippery downhills.
I will agree with you about the no locker thing, it would be nice if honda would just make their 4x4 models have a switch to go from2wd (rear locked)to 4wd (front and rear both locked). That way you could just use 2wd all the time and then when the going gets tough put it in 4wd and everything would be locked in ready to go. I don't think I would be a fan of having n electronic locker, it would just be more parts to break.

As far as engine breaking goes, I am going to have to disagree. I have a rancher and an old 250 utility model and both are capable of engine breaking. You must be refering to only the hondas with auto trannies.. in which case that is the mistake, never by an auto (any brand atv) .

Also what does engine braking have to do with getting sideways going down slippery hills and flipping?? Are you saying without being able to engine brake you will potentialy be going faster down hills, thus sliding sideways (when it is slippery) resulting with flipping your atv? I was under the impression that engine braking was just an efficient way to slow your vehicle without using your brakes, which would save on brake wear. If that is true, and you can't utilize engine braking due to the type of transmission your atv has, then couldn't you just use your regular brakes inorder to avoid reaching dangerous speeds down slippery hills?

Old 09-08-2007, 05:36 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion

Yeah my honda 200 can engine brake no problem... Cumminnotstrokin, those things are beasts!! I had the opportunity to put a few of those together and ride them and they haul!!

Old 09-08-2007, 07:20 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: savage.basher

As far as engine breaking goes, I am going to have to disagree. I have a rancher and an old 250 utility model and both are capable of engine breaking. You must be refering to only the hondas with auto trannies.. in which case that is the mistake, never by an auto (any brand atv) .

Also what does engine braking have to do with getting sideways going down slippery hills and flipping?? Are you saying without being able to engine brake you will potentialy be going faster down hills, thus sliding sideways (when it is slippery) resulting with flipping your atv? I was under the impression that engine braking was just an efficient way to slow your vehicle without using your brakes, which would save on brake wear. If that is true, and you can't utilize engine braking due to the type of transmission your atv has, then couldn't you just use your regular brakes inorder to avoid reaching dangerous speeds down slippery hills?

Yea, I'm specifically talking about the auto's, you can't find a big quad anymore that's not. You go downhill, even at a crawl, and touch the brake and if you don't feather it perfectly, if the brakes lock the ATVwill go sideways on you and possibly flip. Now granted, the only 3 times I've seen somebody flip one was on a severe downslope in Georgia red clay. If you don't have any experience in deep south clay when it's wet, it's not unlike a sheet of ice. Good engine braking (and a good low gear) keep you going on track in those situations.
As far as an electronic locker, I agree. May Bombardier is probably the most advanced ATV on the market. And I got a 5 year warranty on it because I expect problems with all the new technology on the thing. Not too mention I commited the cardinal sin and got it in the first model year. Had it since Nov. of '05 and a lot of hard riding, especially hog hunting in the south Ga. swamps, and no issues yet.

Old 09-09-2007, 01:44 AM
savage.basher

Had it since Nov. of '05 and a lot of hard riding, especially hog hunting in the south Ga. swamps, and no issues yet.
Freakin decent!!! I have never head of hog hunting before, but it sounds like it might actually be pretty challenging which would = fun .

Also, I hear ya bout all the big beast atv's all being auto's... why is that?

Old 09-09-2007, 01:47 AM
savage.basher

There is definitely alot of that red clay stuff around where I go ride to, it kinda turns into a snot like substance when wet, very slippery .

Old 09-09-2007, 12:57 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

ORIGINAL: savage.basher

Had it since Nov. of '05 and a lot of hard riding, especially hog hunting in the south Ga. swamps, and no issues yet.
Freakin decent!!! I have never head of hog hunting before, but it sounds like it might actually be pretty challenging which would = fun .

Also, I hear ya bout all the big beast atv's all being auto's... why is that?
Here's you a south Ga. hog. Most dangerous animal to hunt in this country IMO, those tusks are like razors and a 300 pounder is not that uncommon. If you corner one, they'll come after you in a heartbeat. I've taken them with rifle & .50 cal. black powder, but the real fun is getting close enough to drop one with a handgun. BTW - not me in pics, I have no digital pics of hunts, only 35mm photos.

[IMG]local://upfiles/67238/1E2976FC74014F53934BC0D600DB238E.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/67238/F4D1A2A54425481DA8EC5C86800CE0A2.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Any 4WHEELER Riders????