Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Halloween question - Kerosene or Diesel ?? - NEW pics - MORE PUMPKINS !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 07:49 PM
roadking096
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Halloween question - Kerosene or Diesel ??

I was also under the impression that diesel and kerosene were very close relatives. K1,D2.

Old 10-29-2007, 08:29 PM
millertime

i think either one will work... both kerosene and diesel fuel are "slow" burners we use both in our grove heaters and they will burn all night on about a gallon of either

Old 10-30-2007, 01:54 AM
Mayfair
Legend

Will diesel smoke more because of the lube in it? That's what i thought the major difference was.

Old 10-30-2007, 07:06 AM
Bigriver

Hey Mayfair..........Great job in your Holloween festivities. I'm not sure about which fuel to use, but only please be careful with open flames around where kids could be. Some costumes are made of flamable materials ( thank you china ) and risk of accident may be high. Sorry about stating all that, just theoldmariner coming out in me.

Regarding scaring the hell out of kids, Yeah Baby, go for it !!!
One year, I made up a dummy with afrankenstein masksitting on a chair out front. It sat there for almost a week so the neighborhood kids could get real use to seeing it. Then holloween night, I dressed up identical to it and did the switch-a-roo. The look on the kids face was priceless when what they knew was just an ole dummy started moving at them when they approached!

I heard of another trick......if your tree is big enough to climb up in, you and the dummy sit tight up there and as the kids approach, drop the dummy hang man from the rope noose in front of them. Nothing like some live action to soil their pants!

Just a word of caution with an open flame......perhaps an electical stobe light for effect?

Anyhows................have a good one buddy and thanks for keeping the Spirit Alive !!

Old 10-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Stang_luvr
Rookie

When I was a lad....(yeah right keep dreamin'...I'm only 32 now!!!) and in scouts for our Order of The Arrow Tap out ceremony we would soak our torches....strips of denim wrapped around some cotton in pots of kerosene....they would easily burn for several hours...and we didn't have a lot of fabric or cotton wrapped....

Also...when my father was highway superintendent back in NY....the smudge pots they would put out at night to help mark danger spots....ie bridges out for repair and such....were filled with kerosene....would easily last all night long....

just my $.02 worth.

Old 10-30-2007, 02:03 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Here's a different question for ya ..... How do I put the kerosene fire out once the night is all done? I'd really rather not use a fire extinguisher, is there another way? Unfortunately the pumpkin is too big to cover it up with a bucket, any other ideas?

Old 10-30-2007, 02:22 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

dude, ur an artist! that is sweet!

Old 10-30-2007, 02:51 PM
cujo
Captain

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

Here's a different question for ya ..... How do I put the kerosene fire out once the night is all done? I'd really rather not use a fire extinguisher, is there another way? Unfortunately the pumpkin is too big to cover it up with a bucket, any other ideas?
smother it with sand or dirt?

Old 10-30-2007, 04:30 PM
Mayfair
Legend

Since you guy's seem to dig my MAD pumpkin carving skilz, here are some more ...

Old 10-30-2007, 04:34 PM
cujo
Captain

And I thought they didn't let you play with sharp objects, well done.

Quick Reply: Halloween question - Kerosene or Diesel ?? - NEW pics - MORE PUMPKINS !!