Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Halloween question - Kerosene or Diesel ?? - NEW pics - MORE PUMPKINS !!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2007, 03:54 PM
Mayfair
Legend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Halloween question - Kerosene or Diesel ?? - NEW pics - MORE PUMPKINS !!

I don't know about you guy's, but I kinda get into the whole Halloween thing. I just LOOOOVE scareing kids !!

Anyway, this year I decided to make a hangman for the front tree. It turned out REALLY good !! My ladyfriend told me that my neighbor 2 doors down knocked onmy next door neighbors house yesterday and asked her if it was REAL. They weren't sure until the touched it !! I wish I would have seen that.

Here are some pics of teh hangman in his building process as well as ... hanging

The neighbors are a little worried about the kids in the school across teh street after that whole Jenna 6 thing or whatever it was called. It has NOTHING to do with that so I aint sweating it.

Next I bust out my MAD pumpkin carving skilz with the youngsters!! I have at it with a jigsaw, sawzall, razors, you name it, I bust it out. After carving the pumpkins I coat them with WD40 to help prevent them from rotting as well as try to keep the squirrels away.

Here are some pics of those ...

The tall pumpkin ( the lat one pictured ) I plan on setting on fire ( controlled ). I've been told that you soak a roll of toilet paper in kerosene for a night and then the next day you set it on fire. the flames apparently last for about 4 hours and they go anywhere from 4-6 feet high.

COOL !!!

OK, here's my question ... Can I use diesel fuel instead?

I have no use for kerosene other than this project and therefore I'd wouldn't know what to do with the extra ( if any ). If I were to use diesel I could at least dump it into my tank.

Can I do it, or will it not burn the same?

Old 10-29-2007, 04:06 PM
Jr. Mechanic
Grand Champion
Default RE: Halloween question - Kerosene or Diesel ??

SWEET!!

Old 10-29-2007, 04:09 PM
Methos
Veteran

Awesome man. I really like the big pumpkin eating the little one. Very nice work indeed

Old 10-29-2007, 04:28 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

I don't think it'll burn the same.. don't you need compression to ignite diesel? MY uncle up in Maine... used to find "cattails" those little stick lookin things with the wanna be corndog on the end... and he'd always have em in a bucket of what i belive was Kerosene... But i'm not entirely sure...

Old 10-29-2007, 04:29 PM
tdmopar59
Grand Champion

hehehe i gotta see that !!!! i would just get the kerosene

Old 10-29-2007, 04:43 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

Yeah... hopefully you'll set up the webcam and broadcast it... or atleast take a butt-load of pics....

Old 10-29-2007, 04:52 PM
Mayfair
Legend

I don't have a webcam, but you KNOW I'll take pics

I'm also looking for some road flares. I'm told they only burn for 15 minutes. I'd like em to burn a little longer. Any ideas?

Old 10-29-2007, 05:07 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

Probably a lot of work.... retro fit a propane torch....I'm sure it won't be 6 feet tall..... maybe an acetelyne torch... or you can just do what these guys did... watch the captions... http://youtube.com/watch?v=o0_xwcxGnv4

Old 10-29-2007, 05:10 PM
07 Ram TRX4
Captain

I guess they used toilet paper and lamp oil.....imagine that.. no need for kerosene...

Old 10-29-2007, 05:12 PM
jakebrake
Champion

Kerosene burns cleaner than diesel does. How ever I think youd be better off getting some sterno or something like that. Those cans of sterno burn for hours on end, kind of a blue flame though. Not yellow like diesel or kerosene.

Quick Reply: Halloween question - Kerosene or Diesel ?? - NEW pics - MORE PUMPKINS !!