DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-diesel-tech-88/)
-   -   transmissions (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-diesel-tech/137514-transmissions.html)

finny 12-13-2007 11:44 PM

transmissions

i am looking at a new transmission before i start buying alot of mods to increase the power of my truck. i was wondering what every body uses/ wants to use? i have emailed all of the companys and all have given me around the same price for a transmission rated for 450-500 hp and over 900tp.

roadking096 12-14-2007 06:58 AM

RE: transmissions

You should add these folks to your list of companies. My parts guy has nothing but nice things to say about them and they work around core charges. http://www.htstransmissions.com/index.html

Bigriver 12-14-2007 07:24 AM

I have the ATS and for the most part, I'm satisfied with it. But on the other hand, I've got to tell you about some issues. From the start, which was last June, it began throwing a code, P1740. It's a transmisson code, which in making a long story short, the truck computer reconizes that a stock torque converter will slip to a degree. My ATS T/C is more efficent and slips less than the parameter's of the computers tolerences. Thus it occasionaly throws the code. Fortuneately, I have the Edge w/ Attitude that has a code reading and removing program. It's a minor irratant, but something ATS is aware of and say that they're working on. ( Yeah Right! )

A second issue of late, and one that is more of a pain in the ass is the T/C controller, which they call the Co-Pilot. I do not know what the cause of the problem is, but it is at times not allowing the T/C to unlock when coming to a stop. Consiquently, there is sometimes a wheel hop that is really irratating to me. I'm fearful that something will snap or shatter. It eventually releases, but only after a few jerks in the drive train. I've contacted ATS and the shop that installed the transmisson. Their reccomendation is to remove a piticular wire from the back of the Co-Pilot. Hopefully soon I can get around to pulling it from my dash to try that out. Untill I try that, I've just been driving with the Co-Pilot turned off

Other that those issues, I'm satisfied with the transmisson. It pulls strong, shifts somewhat on the hard side, but I really don't think that I could tear it up. I wish I would have had a camera when the replacement was being done. Just the comparrison in size of the T/C's was amazing! With the stock T/C, I could slide a few fingers between it and the bell housing. As with the ATS, I couldn't even slide my little finger in there. The stock flex plate looks like a joke compared to the ATS. The stock looks like nothing more that a cast light weight flywheel with large cut outs and the gear teeth spot welded around the edges. As with the ATS, it seemed like a 30 lb. heavy duty solid stainless steel chuck of serious buisness. You can see a pic of it on their website.

I sure hope that ATS can correct my issues going on here. When on the road towing the 5'ver, I have confidance that I've done all that I could have done to insure a reliable drive train. Time will tell how things will work out, and if I have no satisfaction on these issues, I'll be sure to let everyone here know about them, besides telling ATS of my plans as well!!!

http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x...geMega006a.jpg

NCcummins 12-14-2007 09:30 AM

i put ATS because if this TC does not work out for me, he is going to put in an ATS TC and other parts from suncoast i believe if it doesnt work out..

JimmyDiablo 12-14-2007 10:06 AM

Ats is where my money is going to end up when I have the money to make it happen.

ga_noplugs 12-14-2007 10:42 AM

ORIGINAL: finny

i am looking at a new transmission before i start buying alot of mods to increase the power of my truck. i was wondering what every body uses/ wants to use? i have emailed all of the companys and all have given me around the same price for a transmission rated for 450-500 hp and over 900tp.

Thomas,
So what do each of them recommend for the 450-500 range? Im trying to get a feel for what I'll need to do when its time :)

Drew 12-14-2007 10:53 AM

for the 450-500. . .probably a new TC, billet input shaft, valve body, and a billet output shaft.

any more and it goes to more agressive internal clutches.

triton 12-14-2007 11:02 AM

not that ATS isn't a good product but, there's much better. It seems a few are really into ATS here. Before you buy though.... I'd ask you to do some research. I would wager that after you're done, you'll buy something else. One way to look at it is.... you won't find one racing or pulling truck using a ATS. ATS's trucks do but, that's about it :eek:

Gorends, although I haven't used their products... have a excellent rep in that trans game. Problem there is... you have to send them your trans !

Suncoast was my choice in the poll.

QUACKSTACKER 12-14-2007 12:02 PM

ORIGINAL: triton

not that ATS isn't a good product but, there's much better. It seems a few are really into ATS here. Before you buy though.... I'd ask you to do some research. I would wager that after you're done, you'll buy something else. One way to look at it is.... you won't find one racing or pulling truck using a ATS. ATS's trucks do but, that's about it :eek:

Gorends, although I haven't used their products... have a excellent rep in that trans game. Problem there is... you have to send them your trans !

Suncoast was my choice in the poll.

not trying to hijack a thread, BUT:

hey, triton, you picked suncoast in the poll. is that what you are running? looking at your numbers in your sig., i would like to know what you got. thanks.

Mayfair 12-14-2007 02:58 PM

I'm not in the market for a trans ( Thank God ) but I'll be keeping my eye on this thread for the day that i may be.

GREAT idea for a thread / poll Finny !!