Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Need Help Fast Please!!!! Trucks at the dealer

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Erock509
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help Fast Please!!!! Trucks at the dealer

Ok wells heres the problem, I dropped my truck off at the stealer for some warranty work. I advised them that the transmission was slipping and needed to be checked out under warranty. Amongst a few other things getting fixed that were fine, the service adviser told me that they checked the tranny out and it needs a complete overhaul $1900. He said the front band was tore up and when they hooked up to the computer, it read that the truck was getting 68mpg at 400+ mph. He is stating they decided to void my powertrain warranty! I do have the bully dog but the truck is programmed to stock, only working as guages right now. They said since I have the bully dog installed it voided the warranty, it should not be like this. I need help please!

Old 04-22-2008, 02:15 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Default RE: Need Help Fast Please!!!! Trucks at the dealer

Sorry to hear such but that is the risk you run when you add any power programer like your Bully Dog on your truck while its still under warranty.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:20 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: Erock509

they hooked up to the computer, it read that the truck was getting 68mpg at 400+ mph.
What the heck is that ??

If you've never used teh dog as anything other than for gauges I don't see how they can blame it as the reason for blowing out your band. Is that why you took it in in the first place, slipping tranny?

Old 04-22-2008, 02:28 PM
Erock509
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Mayfair

ORIGINAL: Erock509

they hooked up to the computer, it read that the truck was getting 68mpg at 400+ mph.
What the heck is that ??

If you've never used teh dog as anything other than for gauges I don't see how they can blame it as the reason for blowing out your band. Is that why you took it in in the first place, slipping tranny?

Well Ive got 34k on the clock so i took it in to fix a cpl small things under warranty before it runs out, plus the tranny slipping. I tried to call dave at oneil to see if he had any suggestions but I guess hes in school today. Bully dog is suppose to be calling me back but the guy sent me a copy of the magnuson moss act.

Old 04-22-2008, 02:42 PM
DBLR
Record Breaker

One can only assume that they found traces of the Bully Dog loaded in to the ECM and why the said the warranty was voided. As they see it the BD added more powerto the engine and thus more power to the trans as that is why its slipping. My self I don't think the Magnuson Moss act will save your warranty.

You did read this post from Parts/Service: https://dodgeforum.com/m_1268801/tm.htm

Old 04-22-2008, 02:58 PM
energinerbuzzy
Banned

Another reason not to buy BD! I run the Smarty and I try to keep it within safe limits. But before I bought it, I asked my self if I was ready to take a chance on screwing something up and lose the warranty.
I decided that if something breaks so be it, I'll just have to eat the repair cost. On the other hand, I have thought about what if I know that my Smarty didn't break something, what do I do?
Well first thing I would have done is make damn sure there are no traces of it on my truck, including finding a shop that would agree to try to find it. Then I would take it to the dealer for repairs.

But I will say this, if you trashed your tranny by running the Bully Dog with more power than your tranny can handle, you should pay to repair it.
I'm not saying that your trying to pull a fast one, but it's all the dumb a$$es out there that tear their trucks up and try to fool the dealer into fixxing it that make it all that much worse for us guys to get legitimate warranty work done on our trucks.

Please don't take that last statement the wrong way. If your tranny is trashed for another reason not related to running the Bully Dog, it doeasn't apply to you.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:25 PM
DieselDemon
Record Breaker

Those darn electronic dreams.

I keep tellin you guys, chips go with dips.

Front band tore up.....hmmmmmm, any chance someone was "testing" out that higest setting? Transmissions don't lie my friend. Anything over stock hp/tq will eat up a Dodge tranny...lol. You can't hide the obvious.

If that was the deal, I mean. (Can a programmer f*%k up a PCM?)

Good luck, hope you get that resolved. If they rebuild it, lose that chip. If you want to keep that setup, I'd start lookin for some aftermarket HD parts.

Good luck with ALL our rides.

Old 04-22-2008, 03:25 PM
Erock509
Veteran

Thnx for the replies and im trying to get this resolved. First off just some info on me and the truck, I dont tow anything with it, i hardly drive it- maybe a few hundred miles a month, and I dont tear it up. So I just spoke to the service manager and he stated that they did not even call dc yet, they were just letting me know what could happen. I talked to him for a bit and needless to say he wasnt very approachable, but I told him to bring the problem to dc and see what they say. I also spoke with bully dog again and they told me that there should be no reason why those numbers are showing up. I dont dog, race, or do anything that should tear up the tranny like this. This truck is practically brand new. I also found out that some dodge dealerships are actually installing bd in the trucks before they sell, just like all the dealerships puting lifts and tires on the new trucks. Now I just wait to see what happens. I am prepared to take this all the way.

Old 04-22-2008, 04:48 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your best bet may be to give the guy's at ATS, Suncoast, or goerend a call

Old 04-22-2008, 05:44 PM
Erock509
Veteran

No word yet, hopefully I'll hear tomorrow asap.

Quick Reply: Need Help Fast Please!!!! Trucks at the dealer