DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-diesel-tech-88/)
-   -   "Popping noise from front end? (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-diesel-tech/162039-popping-noise-from-front-end.html)

energinerbuzzy 05-16-2008 08:01 AM

"Popping noise from front end?

Ok so I am starting to get a "popping noise in the front end. It seems to be comeing from the control arms but I have checked and all bolts are tight. It happens when I am in 4x4 or any time the traction direction is reversed.
I'll give you an example............. I can get in the truck, but it in reverse and roll a few feet then hit the brakes.....it goes "pop" . then I put it back in drive, roll forward a few feet, hit the brakes and "pop" .
Now if I let of the brakes and roll forward again and hit the brakes, it doesn't do it. It seems like it is taking the slack out of something and will only do it when the direction of the pull on the axle is changed and it takes the slack out.

It doesn't make any noise while driving, only when in 4x4 or if I back out of the driveway and hit the brakes too hard. Could I have bad bushings in the control arms already after only a couple of thousand miles?

cumminalong 05-16-2008 08:16 AM

RE: "Popping noise from front end?

Off the top of my head, a few things you may want to consider are:

1 - Wheel bearings (oh god, hope not)
2 - Front u-joints going bad
3 - Tie rod ends
4 - The slip shaft on the front drive shaft may need to be lubed. Not the double cardan joint, the actual shaft splines.
5 - The double cardan joint on the front drive shaft.

I'd get the truck up on a frame lift and get the weight off the wheels. Start check those things with no weight on the suspension or driveline and it may help find the issue.

Being lifted liek you are, those areas are gonna take a beating.

sharx ram 05-16-2008 08:38 AM

check your ball joints also, mines starting to do the same thing

Deleted User 05-16-2008 10:21 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

energinerbuzzy 05-16-2008 10:28 AM

It better not be ball joints!! I only have 13k miles on the clock and I don't off road it. The lift has only been on for about 2k miles. Wouldn't ball joints make noise all the time though?

Erock509 05-16-2008 10:42 AM

Mine does the same thing, but only when I'm backing up and hit the brakes, usually out of my driveway. Please keep me posted on this if you find out what it is.

Deleted User 05-16-2008 11:17 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

energinerbuzzy 05-16-2008 11:18 AM

ORIGINAL: Erock509

Mine does the same thing, but only when I'm backing up and hit the brakes, usually out of my driveway. Please keep me posted on this if you find out what it is.
YES!!! Thats what mine does. And the it pops back in place once you hit the brakes again going forward for the first stop, then it doesn't do it again till you hit the brakes in reverse again.

Erock509 05-16-2008 11:54 AM

I don't think its the ujoints because when I had my truck in the shop for the tranny, they pulled the driveshaft out and sent it to an outside shop. The guy said they did not need to be replaced because they were fine and he would just be putting the same thing back in, and he just balanced it. I guess that doesn't mean they could be making noise though, I have no clue.

Deleted User 05-16-2008 01:50 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]