DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-diesel-tech-88/)
-   -   SOS- Smoke (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-diesel-tech/166775-sos-smoke.html)

jimmyshortz 06-29-2008 05:13 PM

SOS- Smoke

I let one of my roughnecks drive my 08 with manual tranny and about 2 miles later, i saw smoke coming out of the bottom of my truck and stopped him (I was driving ahead of him).it lmost smelled like electrical butI assume its clutch. Well, I let it sit for about 4-5 hours, call roadside assistance and meet a tow truck where I left it. I got in and drove it for about 5 miles and no smoke. I ended up driving it home (25 mi) and there is no signs of smoke, but there is that lingering burnt clutch smell. What the hell could he have done? The truck has run perfectly since i bought it (6500K). Anyone know what could have happened and the potential ramifications?

woligator 06-29-2008 05:24 PM

RE: SOS- Smoke

parking brake buddy!!!

whit those engine its hard to notice its there once moving...

NickBeek 06-29-2008 05:30 PM

If it wasn't the parking break, then it had to be the clutch. If it is not slipping under hard acceleration then he just took some life out of it. If it is slipping you are in for a large bill.

jimmyshortz 06-29-2008 08:02 PM

P. Brake was the first thing i checked. I dont know what he could have done to cause that much smoke in a matter of 2 miles. It dosent seem to slip...I have a 5 yr. 160kwarranty so hopefully itll need replacing before then....

Parts/Service 06-29-2008 08:18 PM

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but most warranties do not cover the clutch. It is considered a wear item... Below is out of the warranty manulal for a 2008.....
But the following items are
covered only for 12 months or for 12,000 miles on the
odometer, whichever occurs first:
• brakes (rotors, pads, linings, and drums);
• wiper blades;
• clutch discs or modular clutch assembly (as equipped);
• windshield and rear window; and
• wheel alignment and wheel balancing

And ....
The warranties don’t cover the costs of your
truck’s normal or scheduled maintenance — the parts
and services that all trucks routinely need. Some of
these parts and services, which your warranties don’t
cover, include:
• lubrication;
• engine tune-ups;
• replacing filters, coolant, spark plugs, bulbs, or
fuses (unless those costs result from a covered
repair);
• cleaning and polishing; and
• replacing worn wiper blades, worn brake pads
and linings, or clutch linings.

jimmyshortz 06-29-2008 08:35 PM

The question is- what is normal wear and tear? Anything less than 12 k miles is not normal so they will honor a warranty? I just want find out why or how this could have happened because I wasnt there, then ill know what to claim for warranty

Deleted User 06-29-2008 09:15 PM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

NickBeek 06-29-2008 09:24 PM

The only thing I can think of would be him riding with his foot resting on the clutch pedal and / or hot rodding it or maybe he tried to start out in 3rd or 5th. My wife did that to my Mustang once. She tried to start out in 3rd and stalled it. Then she got nervous and revved the engine good and slipped the clutch for a block or so. It smoked for about a mile after that. The good news is, that clutch lasted me till 190K miles and I sold the car to a guy who is still driving on the same clutch.