Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New Ram Enthusiast--Clutch Problems in Indy

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2015, 10:41 AM
Flinthound
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Ram Enthusiast--Clutch Problems in Indy

Hi, new forum member here. I flew to Dallas this past July, purchased and drove my 2004 Dodge Ram home to Kentucky. It has the 5.9 Cummins, 6 speed, manual transmission, 4x4, 160K. I have put a new radiator and water pump into it. Currently my very pregnant wife and I are up in Indy visiting my family. Two days ago I started getting a horrible squeal associated with clutch pedal depression, suspected a failing throw-out bearing, and today I smelled hot clutch plate, sigh. Our plans were to drive back to KY tomorrow, have Christmas at home, and go back to work Saturday as we have some pressing financial needs (like everybody else). I got a quote from a local transmission shop today here in Indy to instal a heavy duty clutch kit, but they cannot start until Monday or Tuesday. My mechanic in KY quoted me a lesser figure by $300, but I don't want to drive a smoking clutch and squealing bearing all the way there and risk damage to other parts.

Can anyone recommend a good home-garage mechanic here in Indianapolis, one who would allow me to work work with him on it in his garage? I am happy to pay his rate for the privilege of working on it with him and learning. I successfully replaced a clutch in my '88 Ranger twenty years ago, but have few tools and less time currently. I'd love to work on it this weekend if possible. Feel free to PM me with contact information and any advice you might have.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: New Ram Enthusiast--Clutch Problems in Indy