DodgeForum.com

DodgeForum.com (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/)
-   Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-diesel-tech-88/)
-   -   My AC is pretty mediocre (https://dodgeforum.com/forum/dodge-ram-diesel-tech/414529-my-ac-is-pretty-mediocre.html)

Nate_rs 06-07-2018 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3395767)
There should be a chart somewhere on the web that will correlate high side/low side pressures with ambient temp.

Here is a selection of them. :) Take your pick.

Thanks! Didn’t realize I could reference any generic pressure chart. I’ll go harass my buddy to use his gauges when I get off work. :icon_mrgreen:

Nate_rs 06-14-2018 07:57 PM

The pressures are good. It’s gotten to where it cools semi decently, it just takes forever to blow cold air. About 20-25 minutes before it’s blowing “cold” air.

In the mornings its great. It blows good cold air about 2-3 minutes after running. But it’s also only 80 outside.
Then in the afternoons when I get off work and it’s 99 I’m half way home before it’s blowing cool air and it’s still not quite as cold as it is in the morning.

But it like I said the pressures are good. There’s nothing blocking the evap core. The blend door works perfectly.

I dont understand it. :icon_shrug:

Maybe the condenser is suffering from its age and not working as efficiently as when new?
Maybe the compressor is approaching the end of its life? Although I don’t really have any reason to think that. It clicks on and off like it should and is noise free.

HeyYou 06-15-2018 07:37 AM

The system still is lacking efficiency. Think I would have a look, and see if the condenser isn't getting clogged up with road stuff..... also, make sure the cooling fan is working properly. Does your truck have an aux fan for a/c stashed inside the radiator shroud??

Nate_rs 06-15-2018 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by HeyYou (Post 3396875)
The system still is lacking efficiency. Think I would have a look, and see if the condenser isn't getting clogged up with road stuff..... also, make sure the cooling fan is working properly. Does your truck have an aux fan for a/c stashed inside the radiator shroud??

Ill double check the condenser again and make sure there is nothing impeding airflow. The cooling fan works perfectly. Comes on when it should and goes off once I get up to about 20mph. I’m pretty sure there is no fan inside the radiator shroud aside from the main cooling fan

HeyYou 06-16-2018 10:18 AM

Check between the condenser, and radiator as well. Though, if you aren't having overheating issues, likely it is ok.

gertie240 06-16-2018 11:26 AM

Well just want to put in my thoughts, I was knocking around the idea to trade the clutch fan for some electrics, then I got a little worried if the electrics went south I would lose my ability to cool the truck, anyway I was in the shed and found a pretty decent looking 14 inch puller. I unbolted the condensor and slid that little electric in there and zip tied it through the core, in rush hour traffic in south Texas it made a big difference, I hooked up the power supply to a relay that was called by the clutch. I thought I might share this with you guys.

OpieTaylor 05-26-2019 04:46 PM

My 04 Dakota is same way, replaced the heater core and evap since I was already there, and now it’s mediocre performance above 85 OAT.
Low side is 35psi high is 180-185psi, vents are cool, but just don’t chill the cab down as they should. Originally I lost my charge due to loose schrader valve, on the accumulator.

Nate_rs 05-27-2019 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by OpieTaylor (Post 3440370)
My 04 Dakota is same way, replaced the heater core and evap since I was already there, and now it’s mediocre performance above 85 OAT.
Low side is 35psi high is 180-185psi, vents are cool, but just don’t chill the cab down as they should. Originally I lost my charge due to loose schrader valve, on the accumulator.

I ended up replacing the compressor and condenser. Both were the originals and the truck is at 260k miles.

Now the air conditioner performs perfectly. I think the compressor was just old or something. AC is ice cold now, the vent by the steering wheel freezes my hand. We’ve had ambient temps up to 90 and it’s just as cold at 90 as it is at 70.