Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Leaking only when facing downhill

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2019, 07:35 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chromed95
Coming from a guy who has an NV5600, you should overfill the trans by a quart. Yes, it helps lube the rear seal but the main reason is it cools/lubes 6th gear better leading to less chance of premature failure. I also put fast transmission coolers over the pto covers and added a trans temp sensor to mine because i do tow a lot in the summer. I think with the coolers added, I added 2 extra quarts to equal the 1 extra quart without the coolers.
I've heard that. I only put 4 in when I did mine because of the leak. But it hasn't leaked since, but I also haven't been parking downhill at all. Gonna put an extra quart in and see what it does. I would like to add coolers to mine. Pulled a 39ft (bumper to tongue) toy hauler 800 miles last week. Almost 9,000 lbs. my truck spends half of it's life towing, so I need to take care of the drive line. I do towaway for a company up north delivering travel trailers to dealerships. So when you put the coolers on the pto covers, did you just put fluid in until it reached the top pto bolt? I'm new to these. This is my first diesel. But I'm a stickler for maintenance and caring for my vehicles as well. So I wanna do whatever it takes to keep it going well past the quarter million mark. It's been a good truck so far, but I've put less than 10k on it

Old 04-16-2019, 07:29 PM
chromed95
Captain

Originally Posted by Pspklutch
I've heard that. I only put 4 in when I did mine because of the leak. But it hasn't leaked since, but I also haven't been parking downhill at all. Gonna put an extra quart in and see what it does. I would like to add coolers to mine. Pulled a 39ft (bumper to tongue) toy hauler 800 miles last week. Almost 9,000 lbs. my truck spends half of it's life towing, so I need to take care of the drive line. I do towaway for a company up north delivering travel trailers to dealerships. So when you put the coolers on the pto covers, did you just put fluid in until it reached the top pto bolt? I'm new to these. This is my first diesel. But I'm a stickler for maintenance and caring for my vehicles as well. So I wanna do whatever it takes to keep it going well past the quarter million mark. It's been a good truck so far, but I've put less than 10k on it
I believe when I put my coolers on, on level ground I filled it up to the fill hole on the drivers side of the trans. At that point, I couldn't get all 7 quarts of fluid in (only maybe 5.5- 6?). I had the luxury of being able to drive my driver side onto an embankment to get the driver side higher so I could then continue to get 7 quarts in through the fill hole. Others have taken the shift tower off from above and added more fluid, but I think my particular method was faster and less invasive on the interior. I highly recommend the fast coolers I have, especially if you're towing a lot. They're pricey, but repairs for your trans if you get it hot are even more pricey.

Old 04-16-2019, 08:35 PM
Pspklutch
Veteran

Originally Posted by chromed95
I believe when I put my coolers on, on level ground I filled it up to the fill hole on the drivers side of the trans. At that point, I couldn't get all 7 quarts of fluid in (only maybe 5.5- 6?). I had the luxury of being able to drive my driver side onto an embankment to get the driver side higher so I could then continue to get 7 quarts in through the fill hole. Others have taken the shift tower off from above and added more fluid, but I think my particular method was faster and less invasive on the interior. I highly recommend the fast coolers I have, especially if you're towing a lot. They're pricey, but repairs for your trans if you get it hot are even more pricey.
I'll keep that in mind. So I guess you can't use the top pto bolt then with the coolers. I'll look them up. I only towed 230ish miles today with a small (26ft) trailer. Tomorrow is the same with a 24ft so that's not bad. What bothers me the most is when I pull a 39 900+ miles like I did last week. I'll look into throwing those coolers on. Won't be long until I change trans fluid again anyway. 3,000 miles a week adds up quickly

Quick Reply: Leaking only when facing downhill