Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

major problems with 6.7 cummins

Old 09-08-2009, 02:14 PM
bs5spinna
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

latest update. towed my trailer again this last weekend and had no power what so ever. Hills that I normally do 80 up were holding my at 55mph with the pedal to the floor. I was getting passed by gasers with bigger campers!

Its back at the dealer and they are claiming its the fuel filter and the need to do a decarb? I thought they just did that 2 wks ago.

They have no input what so ever and say because there are no codes its running 100%.

The following users liked this post:
Tommy White (01-06-2021)
Old 09-08-2009, 08:59 PM
dan983
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by teocbrent
to all who are in the market for buying a 6.7 with all of that emission junk on the exhaust, DO NOT. I am a pipeliner working in chicago area. My contractor bought 10 of these 07 dodges' with the V8 cummins, they have all stalled andbrokedown and are currently being replacedby ford gas burners. Here's why, YOU CAN NOT IDLE THESE ENGINES. yea that's right, a diesel work truck that you can't idle. That's useless.

thank god i got one of the last ones
Brent
07 2500 5.9cummins
4x4 jet black
waylon jennings lives
I have an 08 Ram 6.7 Cummins with 30K miles. Just had the fuel filter changed and the mechanic must have spilled some fuel. I forgot what its like to have the diesel fuel smell throughout the vehicle. Additionally, it's nice to be able to hear the radio. I'm getting 15 mpg combined city/hwy. Great truck--

Old 09-21-2009, 07:59 PM
bs5spinna

Going back into the suck-dealership again! Same issue after a turbo cleaning, decarb, desoot AND code updates. Unlike most I'm not getting codes, simply have a huge lack of power (when towing) and $hitty gas milage! They are again saying if there are no codes, theres nothing they can do. I find it hard to believe this 2500 isnt supposed to be able to tow a 7000lbs trailer up a hill faster than 55/60 with the pedal to the floor when it used to pull my 30 ft 5th wheel up the same hill at 70mph easy.

Is anyone else having issues with lack of power when towing but fine when the truck is on its own? I only tow with this truck and do next to no city driving, and ALWAYS drive with the EB on.

I hate dealerships.....a local garage owner told me he was informed that Dodge Service depts were told not to replace anything unless it was a long drawn out process to avoid eating extra costs!

Old 09-28-2009, 06:37 PM
bs5spinna

Okay another update [hopefully this post will help someone else with a similar issue]

Took the truck to a different dealership. They had the truck (on a Saturday) in reviewed, reprogrammed with updates and replaced the cat within 4 hours. They said the cat was clogged and the de-soot/decarb that was "performed" by the other station either didnt happen or did nothing.

I'm leaning towards the "didnt happen" because it was 2 wks between last visits with only 300 miles put on the truck. The computer showed 15+ hrs since the last flash update - which would be impossible with a new flash and reset on the computer. No way in heck did it take me 15 hrs to drive 300 miles. It was 150mi round trip took like 3 hrs total.

Anyway these guys were much more helpful and I'm hoping to test it pulling the trailer this weekend to see if in fact the power has returned. I did notice my milage was back up around 20mi/gal highway with nothing in tow.

Stay away from Power Dodge in Phx!!!

Old 10-06-2009, 06:28 PM
bs5spinna

Guess what...back in the shop again! Same issue - still no fix. They are now looking at and thinking its a tranny problem. (I told them from the start the truck wouldnt up or down shift under any sort of load) Go figure

A day in the life of a 6.7 owner

Hopefully this fixes it! This truck is bad a$$ when its working properly!

Old 02-05-2010, 02:32 PM
RedDog1970

Originally Posted by bs5spinna
latest update. towed my trailer again this last weekend and had no power what so ever. Hills that I normally do 80 up were holding my at 55mph with the pedal to the floor. I was getting passed by gasers with bigger campers!

Its back at the dealer and they are claiming its the fuel filter and the need to do a decarb? I thought they just did that 2 wks ago.

They have no input what so ever and say because there are no codes its running 100%.
I noticed my truck, which is a Dodge Quad Cab 3500 Dually 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel, was getting a little sluggish then the engine light came on. Got the code myself and it was a P2509 code. Took it to dealer and they plugged it up and the Turbo Charger is bad. Thank goodness i only have 62,000 miles on it and it is under waranty. I luv this truck and this is the first problem I have had out of it.

Old 02-07-2010, 12:23 AM
gordy49

They work out the bugs on my dime!

Old 03-03-2010, 09:22 AM
purplhrt91
Professional

I traded my 05 for a 09 with 6.7. It feels like the 6.7 has more power. It has the 6 speed auto and I really don't care for it that much. I pull a 38' Montana, and to be honest, I think the smaller Cummins pulled it better. Mabey its because of the 6 speed auto. Still love the truck though.

Old 04-24-2010, 10:38 AM
WhiteMega

I'm looking for a "how-to" post on changing the fuel filter in my '09 6.7. Has anybody seen one, or can anyone help me on this?

Old 06-26-2010, 08:11 AM
pblackburn
Default Re: Trouble with 6.7 Cummings Truck

Originally Posted by closeracing
I bought an 07 ram 2500 with the new cummins 6.7 on dec 31 of 07. Monday it is going back to the dealer for the 4th time.
The last 3 had an error code "turbo boost pressure below threshold". It has been desooted twice had the EGR cleaned, the software updated to 08 specs and the turbo replaced, noone seems to be able to fix it and I am tired of leaving it at the dealership every month.
Anyone have any insight? I love the way the truck drives but I cant afford to take it in all the time. This is my 3rd dodge diesel and my 4th dodge pickup and I've never had these problems before with any other truck. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate your input before I take it back to the dealership, they cant seem to figure it out and I am afraid I may have to pursue the lemon law.
I have a 2500 cummings diesel, and I, too had to put it in the shop at 2000 miles for a new catalytic converter system (2 days). I was told I had to ride with the jake brake on constantly and to run it on the interstate at 70-80 at least once a week. Their explanation was, due to it being a "work" truck, I was not doing enough heavy work with it (just driving to work and back) and this would cause problems. Odometer is at 24,500 and I just had the same work done again, this time both converters, EGR valve, and took another 2 days of finding a ride to work. The new flash update was installed and I was also advised to use a low ash oil such, offered by pennzoil or chrysler. I was concerned about future problems with it too as if it wasn't warrantied, the last bill came to over $2000.00, and the first time was more than that ($3500-4000). I called the company that has the warranty information and they said the base warranty (36,000 mile/3yr) will cover it alright, then if there are more problems after that, there is an 80,000/8yr. warranty called the federal emissions warranty that should cover it. I didn't like the word "should", because I couldn't afford a bill like this out of pocket every 20,000 miles. I do love this truck to drive and tow with. I am hopeful this new update will help, but I think research into the exhaust system really needs to be pursued, there are some big problems for some of us who own the ones with this glitch.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: major problems with 6.7 cummins