Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

How often do you change fuel filter?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 03:00 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How often do you change fuel filter?

I have not been able to get a filter to last 15k. It usually clogs upwell before 15k to cause fuel starvation problems or low fuel PSI. I change mine around 10k or when low fuel PSI problems start to occur.

Old 07-30-2007, 05:14 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

I change mine at least every 3,000 or it will gunk up. I figure its either from poor quality of fuel down here in south Texas, or maybe from having the pedal to the floor smokin'any poorpoor soul who thinks he has a chance. Anyother ideas?

Old 07-30-2007, 05:48 PM
Mayfair
Legend

ORIGINAL: KillerCummins
Anyother ideas?
Yeah, I'm thinkin that if you hafta change it that often that you've got a LOT of crap in your tank !! If I were you, I'd plan on spending a day dropping your gas tank and totally cleaning it out. You probably got 1 or 2 REALLY bad tanks of fuel and now every time you let the needle go below 1/4 it starts picking the junk up.

Old 07-30-2007, 06:00 PM
KillerCummins
Professional

Thanks for the tip.
Dang, I try to never let it go down to 1/4, but it can't be avoided all the time. Is there any other way? Cause that is a real pain in my you know what. How about a F.A.S.S. don't they also filter the fuel, while it separates the air? I have a buddy who ones a farm, and he lets me fill up whenever we're out there, I know its only legal when we're out there and it may be dirty, but its hard to say no to a free tank worth 75$. However, I dont think it is too dirty because the fuel is never standing very long. Does anyone know of an alterative to dropping the tank?

Old 07-30-2007, 06:34 PM
kg1687
Veteran

Haynes manual says it it's eveyr 12 months or 15k. I think i'll try that oh btw what fuel filter brand is everyone using? I'm using a fram right now but going to switch out to probably NAPA gold.

Quick Reply: How often do you change fuel filter?