Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

New Fuel Filter = Better Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 06:36 PM
04QC4X4
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Fuel Filter = Better Mileage

I bought my truck about 3.5 weeks ago. I have owned a 2001 2500 CTD and I loved the truck. It had power and excellent fuel mileage. My new truck seemed very sluggish and has been getting only 14 mpg since I bought it. I have been very dissapointed. After reading about how easy it is to change the fuel filter I decided to change mine. This was the best thing I could have done. My power has returned and my mileage has increased 3+ mpg. The truck accelerates much better and I think it even sounds better. I also noticed that it does not smoke near as much. I just thought I would inform everyone that this is a worthwhile preventative maintenance. Thanks for the DIY section, its awesome.

Old 08-29-2007, 06:46 PM
mopar98
All Star
Default RE: New Fuel Filter = Better Mileage

Yep, routine work will always make a truck perform and last better
than a truck that is neglected.

Old 08-29-2007, 08:06 PM
nickcoletti
Record Breaker

i changed mine and only got a 1 mpg diffrence, but even without mpg gain its still worth doing it! that DIY section is sweet aint it? welcome to the DF by the way!

Old 08-29-2007, 08:37 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it is amazing what will happen when you get proper flow to the CP3

Old 08-29-2007, 10:11 PM
UpBranchLiner

My milage is up 1 mpg after i changed my filter but i also put my aero in.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:51 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

Mine must have been in really bad shape. No telling how long it was in there! I also changed the air filter which was also extremely dirty. The sad thing is that I bought the truck from a decent sized dealer. Aren't they supposed to change filters and service the vehicle before they resell them??? I guess not![:@] I drove about 300 miles to get the truck. On the way home it started making a horrible noise every time I hit a bump. It sounded like the tailgate was about to fly off. I pulled over and found that the bed was missing at least a few bolts. It was only bolted up close to the cab, so the rear was bouncing up off of the frame every time I hit a bump. Also the transmission was a quart low on fluid. It went into limp mode right when I got home because the tranny fluid pressure was low. I called and they said that the transmission had been worked on and there was probably an air pocket when they refilled it. Yea Right! Anyways, sorry about the sob story, I guess I just needed to vent. Thanks for the welcome. This forum is awesome!

Old 08-30-2007, 07:06 PM
MCDiver
Rookie

I bought the filter pack from Geno's and the fuel filter had just been replaced. But, the brew, now that is cool. I have gained milage just by using the brew at every fill. My father is thinking about using the brew in his 07 benz, he wants to see how it works on my dodge first.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:05 PM
Silverline
Veteran

I've got one better. I bought my truck as a repo. They had been looking for it for six months and the guy had hidden it and not driven it for that whole time. When I got it the bank had redone the front end and some other stuff. But when I changed the fuel filter it was GREEN. It looked like it had been filtering and aquarium. MPG went up by 6 after that.

Old 08-31-2007, 07:55 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that was from the alge growing in the diesel.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:41 PM
dasnake
Veteran

i read the dyi on changing the filter, i have 12,000 kilometers on my '07, what is a recommended mileage to change the filter, i noticed drew says he does his every 5000 miles, i looked at the dodge maintenance schedule and it is way different, same as the air filter when should it be changed, my "guide" is already halfway to the red.

Quick Reply: New Fuel Filter = Better Mileage