Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

shifting trouble

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2007, 01:46 PM
gymfreek69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default shifting trouble

sorry if this has been discussed before but im usually in the 3rd gen forum but i have a question for my dad. he as a 02 i believe 2500 diesel. he has a problem when you first start out it sometimes doesnt want to shift out of first gear. it wont rev up or anything it just lags at the same rpm no matter how far you push the petal. if you let off of the petal completely and try to go again it will finally take 2nd gear most of the time with a couple trys. once it goes there is no more problems shifting. it doesnt always do this but rather frequently.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:00 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: shifting trouble

I'm wondering if the lift pump is begining to die. . .the lift pump is located on the back side of the fuel filter canister and is natorious for going out at the worst times.

best thing to do would be to hook up a pressure gage onto the line going from the fuel filter to the VP44 injector pump and monitoring the pressure. . .12+ psi at idle, 6-8 cruising, no less than 4 psi with the throttle on the floor.

also, when was the last time the fuel filter was changed???

Quick Reply: shifting trouble