Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Is stage 2 worth the $$

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 11:21 AM
Dirk3412
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is stage 2 worth the $$

I was wondering if the AFE stage 2 was worth the 200 dollars more than the Stage 1? Is there really that much difference between the two?

Old 09-01-2007, 11:37 AM
SpLaT
Captain
Default RE: Is stage 2 worth the $$

Both TDR(issue #56)and Diesel World magazine did testing on OEM and aftermarket CAI, both concluded that the Stock intake (on 3rd gen) was as good or better then some of the aftermarket stuff. Although, once you start modifing your truck the "bling" is nice. I have the stage 2 and haven't really noticed any gains other then, I can the turbo wind up.

Some people say they feel or noticed a difference but, IMHO I thinks its a " I spent the money on it.. so its gotta be good?" at least its my thought and I'm sticking with it.

TDR did say, the best set up,from their testswas the stock air box and stock filter with a "cool tube" intake tube, it made better HP and torque, although the gains weren't very much.

Old 09-01-2007, 01:22 PM
Dirk3412

Alright thanks, also do you know if the Banks high ram will make any difference?

Old 09-01-2007, 02:24 PM
SpLaT
Captain

The "High Ram" thingy will only make a difference if your running a larger intercooler... CFM+ makes them as well ... they say their product produces "cooler higher density air flow" all these things are is a small inltet tube from the intercooler to the intake manifold, the intercooler is what really makes the air cooler. As for density... making the tube larger reduces density, OEM will make the air more dense smaller tube. If you reallywant more "cooler higher density air" you need to combine larger turbo with larger intercooler and then the "High Ram". Don't forget to increase exhaust as well!

Quick Reply: Is stage 2 worth the $$