Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Rear End "clunck" noise

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 12:31 PM
dodgegirl67
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear End "clunck" noise

I have a2003 Dodge diesel dually andthere is a clunck noise when it down shifts to go up an overpass or if I am pulling something with the truck it really makes the clunck sound real loud. It is coming from theback of thetruck like its the rear end or the torque convertor. When I took it to the dealership they said it was the computer and changed it out. It still made the noise so I brought it back and now they are saying it is something coming thru the exhaust. They are also claiming I altered the exhaust. I Did not.They said they wont honor thewarranty because I altered the exhaust. First ofall I really dont think its the exhaust. The noise really sounds like its the rear end, drive train or torque convertor. does any one have any ideas or similar problems?

Old 09-01-2007, 02:01 PM
gtxpooch
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Rear End "clunck" noise

What are they claiming that you did to your exhaust? U-joint maybe?

Old 09-01-2007, 02:13 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Clunk noise? During any speed or when from a start or when changing gears? do you auto or stick tranny?I'd take it to a "driveline" shop, have then check it out. You'd be surprised to find out theyhave cheaper rates and also have people there that actually may know something!

Old 09-01-2007, 07:02 PM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u joint or carrier most likely.

Old 09-01-2007, 07:22 PM
dodgegirl67
Professional

1st off it is under warranty.truck barely has/had 47000 miles on it when we took it in the 1st time.it does this whenaccelerating normallyand it shifts into high(od). at 1st it only did it under a load hauling boat,but now does it on flat ground when it shifts out. they originally said torque converter was (confused) and would shift into high and then out and try to go back in again. they repalced the ecm/pcm but it still does it and has gotten progressively worse.
it is a clunk/shuddering type noise and when driving it u can feel it thru the trucks driveline. act's to me as if the axle is slipping and seems to be on the right rear. we drove the truck with a tech in it with his monitor hooked up and duplicated the problem at least five times. he NEVER told us what the code was.
this truck does not nor has never had a catalytic converter and they are saying the exhaust has been cut and welded. it was bought new off the showroom floor.
they are trying to say itis a noise coming through the exhaust and they don't/won't honor it cause it ain't oem.
this is the 2003 high output cummins.
guess it needs to be parked in front of the dealership with a lemon on it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 09-01-2007, 10:08 PM
bway4x4
Rookie

I have this same problem on my 04 QC 2500, If you figure out what it is, PLEASE PM me and let me know... It's driving me nuts.

Old 09-02-2007, 02:13 AM
JT824Megacab
Professional

Are you positive that it is not the TQ just locking up?? When I accelerate and get near 50-mph., I felt a slight jerk feeling. I took it tothe dealer and dida test drive with the Tranny Tech and he said that it was just the TQ locking-up. Since I didn't believe him I took my truck to 3 different dealerships and did test drives with the different tranny tech's and they all said the same thing....it was the TQ locking up. I then felt better because they all said the same thing. Now if I am way off base with regard to your problem then disregard this post....I was just throwing this out there.....

Old 09-02-2007, 09:44 AM
dodgegirl67
Professional

bway4X4 have you had yours to a dealership? if so what are they saying the problem is???

if it is the TQ then something is till not right as the locking in process is progressively getting more pronounced and shakes the drivetrain. surely this can't be right!

anyone have an 03 ho that can see if u have a catalytic converter on your exhaust system???

Old 09-02-2007, 08:57 PM
bway4x4
Rookie

No, i actually haven't had time to go to the dealership yet. I'm planning on heading out there one day this week. And as far as your question about the converter... My 04 came out without a resonator//converter. However it DID have a muffler on it. I'll post again after going to the dealership and let you know what they say.

Quick Reply: Rear End "clunck" noise