Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 05:52 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tire advice

ORIGINAL: savage.basher

Get the E rated tires.... pro comp extreme all terrain 305/65/17's. I did alot of research before I bought mine, and they are great. Very good wear, still ride/tow like the stockers, and they barely make any road noise, just recently had a chance to test them off road and they grip awesome, no complaints so far. Sharx and Steve will probably agree .

Check out www.4wheelparts.com , they seemed to have the most consistently low prices on wheels and tires when I bought mine, and they were great to work with (call the mail order phone #).
'

Yea Sharx, Hopw do they do off road?

Old 09-06-2007, 06:26 PM
savage.basher

I have 305/70-17s on my 2000 model and get some rub. The 65's are likely to rub more. On the 3rd gen trucks it appears 65's work ok.
That doesn't make much since at all?? Same width but a shorter sidewall... why would they be more likely to rub?

PS. The tires like the Procomp are designed more for offroad and are meant to have softer sidewalls, so they don't come in E ratings.
Not true.... My Pro Comp Extreme Allterrain's are def 10 ply E rated. Pro Comp make all diferent kinds of tires, for all different purposes. Check the specs your self if yout want http://www.procomptires.com/xtremeallterrain.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that is funny!! I'm guessin' sharx's truck dosen't see too much dirt .

Old 09-06-2007, 06:30 PM
savage.basher

Oh yeah, I do not have any rub, even at full lock or flexed. I do have a 2" www.topguncustomz.com level kit. It was only $89.99 and very easy to install.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:34 PM
NCcummins
Record Breaker

Toyos are a very good tire, all the guys that come into the shop looking at either the coopers, toyos, or procomps buy the toyos because they are a great company and make a good tire...thats what the boss man has on his 08 superduty with 22 inch wheels and 40 inch toyos with out a signle weight on the wheel, they are self blanaced machined perfectly tires.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:09 PM
JimmyDiablo
Champion

I have 305/70-17s on my 2000 model and get some rub. The 65's are likely to rub more. On the 3rd gen trucks it appears 65's work ok.
That doesn't make much since at all?? Same width but a shorter sidewall... why would they be more likely to rub?

PS. The tires like the Procomp are designed more for offroad and are meant to have softer sidewalls, so they don't come in E ratings.
Not true.... My Pro Comp Extreme Allterrain's are def 10 ply E rated. Pro Comp make all diferent kinds of tires, for all different purposes. Check the specs your self if yout want http://www.procomptires.com/xtremeallterrain.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Now that is funny!! I'm guessin' sharx's truck dosen't see too much dirt .
If Sharx has single water spot on his ride he is off to clean or have it cleaned.

Old 09-06-2007, 11:26 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 224 Likes on 209 Posts

Get the E rated tires.... pro comp extreme all terrain 305/65/17's. I did alot of research before I bought mine, and they are great. Very good wear, still ride/tow like the stockers, and they barely make any road noise, just recently had a chance to test them off road and they grip awesome, no complaints so far. Sharx and Steve will probably agree .

Check out www.4wheelparts.com , they seemed to have the most consistently low prices on wheels and tires when I bought mine, and they were great to work with (call the mail order phone #).
I Second the pro comp xtreme at's... 50k on mine and have about 10k left on them. they havenever have left me stuck in any situation... great wear, awesome performance...

Old 09-07-2007, 10:24 AM
savage.basher

Toyos are a very good tire, all the guys that come into the shop looking at either the coopers, toyos, or procomps buy the toyos because they are a great company and make a good tire...thats what the boss man has on his 08 superduty with 22 inch wheels and 40 inch toyos with out a signle weight on the wheel, they are self blanaced machined perfectly tires.
He seems to have good judgement with all his other purchases too [sm=icon_stickpoke.gif][sm=confused06.gif], hahaha j/k .I'm sure the toyo's are great tires also, I've never owned any so that is about as far as my advice can go.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:09 PM
GlenninTexas
Rookie

Oh man Savage,
I stand corrected. The larger diameter tires (70's) are more likely to rub given thast the width are the same at 305. I had also referred to a size availability chart I had from an old 4-wheeler magazine, it obviously didn't contain all the available sizes.
My apologys to everyone for the mis-information.

Regards, Glenn

Old 09-07-2007, 04:50 PM
savage.basher

My apologys to everyone for the mis-information.

Regards, Glenn
No prob dude. Sorry if I come off all mean too, it is hard to express emotion when typing.. especially if you suck at typing/writing like me .

Old 09-07-2007, 04:57 PM
pngmotoman
Rookie

all i can say is dont go with the 16" rim because it wont fit. atleast on the newer dodges. ifound out the hard way got everything together tireand rims go to put on and they hit the rotors[:@]

Quick Reply: Tire advice