Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

5.9L 24 valve 2005 Air compressor place?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 11:24 AM
diegom6
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5.9L 24 valve 2005 Air compressor place?

Hi guys,

I have a customer tat has a 2005 RAM HD 5.9L CUmmins and he wants to add a compresor for air and maybe a tank. Anyways, he tells me that these engine has a compartement somewhere where you can place a air compressor since he was a major manager of a big brand of soda company and their delivery big trucks had this engine, (well pretty much the same engine) and therefore, they ahd this compressor.

I added to my Cherokee a York compressor , filter, tank etc and I know how it works.

I just don't have any RAM next to me to check for space for this compressor. Also, there is any compressor model specific for thsi engine combo application??

ANy feedback much appreciated.

-Diego

Old 09-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Joel_MD
Captain
Default RE: 5.9L 24 valve 2005 Air compressor place?

I mounted a Viair compressor and a 2.5-gallon tank on the outside of the passenger-side frame rail, roughly under the back seat of my Quad Cab. I don't have a 2005, but I imagine it's a little cramped under the hood for a compressor and tank. Maybe some of the guys with the 2005 model year have a better idea for you.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:50 AM
diegom6
Amateur

Do you have pics of it?

I might find a York compressor locally and a air tank for cheap. but I woul d love tos ee the lcoation.

Old 09-07-2007, 11:53 AM
aka_chewy
All Star

I have an 04 and off the top of my head, I can't imagine there is any room up there for one. I'm sure there was plenty of room in the delivery trucks, they have much bigger engine comparments.

I did see one truck that used the space where the spare tire was to mount everything. They used the cable that lowers the tire to secure the mounting plate for everything.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

No, I don't have any pics of my install. I'll try to get some this weekend.

When you say York compressor, does that mean a belt-driven a/c compressor? My Viairis a 12-volt. I think JakeBrake was talking about a heavy-duty belt driven air compressor that would be a fairly easy bolt-on, but it cost around $800. JakeBrake, you out there? I don't know of anyone who mounted an a/c compressor for compressed air on a Cummins. Maybe someone else here knows more about it. I understand it's a common mod for the Jeep off-roading crowd.

Old 09-07-2007, 01:25 PM
diegom6
Amateur

Yes, York Compressor. I have one in my Jeep. I was checking at Kilby On Board Air kits and it's bit expensive.....looks like it can be mounted on the top of the alternator.

I just checked a RAM that just arrived and I think it could be mounted above the PS pump near the diesel pump.

http://www.kilbyenterprises.com/KE-3100-K.htm

Quick Reply: 5.9L 24 valve 2005 Air compressor place?