Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Extra gears for the trans?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2010, 11:05 AM
zencyl
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Extra gears for the trans?

Hey yall,
So the other day (Thanksgiving) my cousin was showing me around his new 3500 CTD for his daily hauler (construction foreman but thats not important). Anyway after i was done drooling and we started drinking the talking started. He mention having an extra 10 gears and goes 70 hauling a load at ~700rpm. I called bull****, since then i have been searching and just cant find anything about this so i am hoping someone here knows what i am referring too or can tell me it was bull. Anyway he explained it as having his stock normal trans, then there is a controller in the cab for an extra 10 gear trans that is behind his stock trans. Is this somekind of over drive thing? I know i have read about one before but i cant find anything about it now either here nor google. Anybody heard of anything like this? Thanks yall and i will join the proud ranks of a CTD owner soon as i get the money, still in college. <-

Old 12-06-2010, 08:23 PM
draco8494
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im 98% sure its bull..a 3500 cant haul enough to justify 10 gears...unless he swapped a 2spd rear...or are you saying he has 15? or 16 then yeah no...and i dont think the cummins makes a crazy amount of torq at 700 rpm to be haulin maybe if it was like 1200 ish

Quick Reply: Extra gears for the trans?