Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Problems with 2007 5.9L CTD

Old 11-27-2007, 01:04 PM
minex
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with 2007 5.9L CTD

I'm just curious if anyone else is having issues with the 5.9L Cummins? I've had this truck since April and the check guage light has turned on three times since. The first time was because my fuel cap wasn't on tight enough. The second time was because the exhaust temperature sensor didn't reset itself. The dealership reset it for me, but in each of these instances, I ended up not having my truck for a day while the dealership looked at it.

The light turned on for a third time over the weekend, so I dropped it off at the dealership today. Apparently, the #5 injector went bad and they don't have the part in stock. I did notice that the acceleration was a bit rough. Anyway, they placed an order and the part won't be in until Thursday. So I won't have my truck until then. At least this isn't costing me anything other than the fact that I don't have a vehicle whenever these little issues occur.

This is kind of irritating since I never had any issues with my 1998 Dodge Ram 1500. I hope these little kinks work themselves out because I don't want to be taking this truck in every 3 months for the rest of the time I own this truck.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:11 PM
billyho41
Rookie
Default RE: Problems with 2007 5.9L CTD

I have had my 2007 5.9 since July and have had no issues.

Keep good track of all of these things!!!! You never know when you might need it ;o)

Old 11-27-2007, 01:24 PM
minex
Veteran

ORIGINAL: billyho41

I have had my 2007 5.9 since July and have had no issues.

Keep good track of all of these things!!!! You never know when you might need it ;o)
I'm not blaming the truck for the gas cap issue, but when the light turns on, I can't differentiate between a minor issue (the gas cap) or a major issue (#5 injector failing). The truck isn't even a year old with 8000 miles and the fifth injector failed? WTF? Its also odd that the dealership has none in stock. I wonder if this is a common thing.

Old 11-27-2007, 01:37 PM
Tommygunz
Record Breaker

I have had mine since may, about 8500 on my clock with a big road trip this past summer and I had no issues other than lusting for even more power

Old 11-27-2007, 01:48 PM
derwood
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact it's not in stock could be looked at in a good way. It's not a common problem! Sorry it had to happen to you though!

Old 11-27-2007, 10:40 PM
beachmstr

So, I have had mine since Feb and it has 20,000 miles. I have had no problems. Check engine light came on but the next day I started my truck and it was gone. Sorry to hear about your problems though. I don't think the injector should be failing at 8K. I would ask dodge what caused it and see if they have an idea. Better luck in the future hopefully.

Old 11-28-2007, 09:34 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not blaming the truck for the gas cap issue, but when the light turns on, I can't differentiate between a minor issue (the gas cap) or a major issue (#5 injector failing). The truck isn't even a year old with 8000 miles and the fifth injector failed? WTF? Its also odd that the dealership has none in stock. I wonder if this is a common thing.
It is not uncommon for a dealer to not keep an injector in stock. Until recently if an injector was needed, the dealer had to call the Star center to get the part released to them. Star center would ask a crap load of questions and then determine if the truck actually needed an injector. Without their permission you could not order one.If you did put one on the truck without permission, the warranty would not cover it. Not long ago they finally allowed the dealer to order and stock injectors, but permission still has to be granted before an injector can be installed. There are many other parts that fall under this same scrutiny.....

Old 11-28-2007, 09:51 PM
minex
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Parts/Service
It is not uncommon for a dealer to not keep an injector in stock. Until recently if an injector was needed, the dealer had to call the Star center to get the part released to them. Star center would ask a crap load of questions and then determine if the truck actually needed an injector. Without their permission you could not order one.If you did put one on the truck without permission, the warranty would not cover it. Not long ago they finally allowed the dealer to order and stock injectors, but permission still has to be granted before an injector can be installed. There are many other parts that fall under this same scrutiny.....
Thanks for the clarification. At least the dealership asked for over night shipping to get the problem fixed as soon as possible. Hopefully, this will be the last issue I have on this truck for awhile. *crosses fingers*

Old 11-29-2007, 07:33 AM
Super Dave
Veteran

You should be able to do the key on trick to retrieve the code and see if the problem is something you actually need to go to the dealership for. Many times after 5 short trips the CEL will reset itself and not be a problem again. You just need to download the list of codes so you know what the truck is saying is wrong when it kicks a CEL.

Old 11-29-2007, 08:05 AM
kingdog
Professional

Sorry to hear about your problems, I have had mine since Oct 06 ( yes it is a 2007 5.9) and 25000 miles most hard towing and not one issue ( I will keep my fingers crossed )

Ralph

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Problems with 2007 5.9L CTD