Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fault Code P2609 & P2509

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2014, 08:30 PM
Doc Wilcox
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 06 cummins, when the temp drops below 10 deg. it wont crank, I treated the fuel but still same problem it also throws a P2509 code, the batteries are new. any thoughts why it does this in real cold temps?

Old 01-30-2014, 10:52 AM
BrianSudokhoi02
Veteran

Get your batteries load tested. Make sure you unhook the battery cables so they get tested individually. Many auto parts stores will check batteries for free.

Old 11-02-2016, 12:40 PM
Jonny Rebel

I have a similar issue with the P2609 code. It only occurs under 2 conditions:
1.Decelerating from highway speed (65-75 MPH) to exit the highway.
2.Coasting on a secondary road in 4th gear to enter my driveway.

The DTC message is "No voltage drop seen from intake air heater"

Here's what happens:
The wait to start light goes on and the truck chimes. Until I clear the code using my Smarty Jr.the light stays on and the engine loses power. What's interesting is sometimes there's no DTC code but clearing the non-existant code temporarily fixes the problem.

Since I have the intake air preheater delete I put a 6-ohm 50-watt resistor in line where the preheater should be. This didn't fix the problem and I should note the problem didn't occur until about a year after doing the delete.

I'm was wondering if something else applies to my situation. Does anyone have any idea if there's a TSB to fix the issue? Perhaps there is a way with the Starscan tool to disable the computer from looking for the voltage drop.

I can live with the annoying chime but the power loss in unacceptable...
Thanks,
Jonny

Quick Reply: Fault Code P2609 & P2509