Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
No Experience
66.67%
Ive used it in my Cummins
29.73%
Ive used it in something other than my Cummins
3.60%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Question about Biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2010, 10:03 AM
12valvefatass
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even if you guys still have reservations about using pure biodiesel, use it as an additive at various percentages until you are more comfortable with it. Anything to take money away from an Arab, I say.

Old 08-19-2010, 10:07 AM
hounds
Rookie

Originally Posted by skuzatko
You know, Ive researched this stuff for years and have read and heard nothing but good from biodiesel. Burns cleaner,trucks run better. and have heard of mileage increases. For those of you guys that are thinking of making it, good luck, Just be careful of the methanol. Heres to not paying 3.00 at the pump!!!!

I've never heard of mileage INCREASES, unless a chip and other items were installed and even then that is probably the exception. Most engines running on bio or bio blends or WVO blends get a couple miles less or the same mileage and a tiny bit less power but it is pretty much not felt. At least in my trucks.

One thing I will say; if you do use or try bio diesel you GOTTA use good stuff, make certain it is washed well and dried even better and passes ASTM standard. IMO, Problems arise (and bad rap's) when off-spec bio diesel that does not pass ASTM standard is used.

I honestly don't think ANY truck will have too many 'problems' running 30% bio diesel and the differences will be remarkable in the running of the truck and cutting green house gasses.

Old 08-20-2010, 08:42 AM
skuzatko

There are plenty of web sites and testimonials about biodiesel. It's even been on A show called " Dirty Jobs", But I do have to agree with you hounds, It has to be made correctly. There is some science involved and chemistry. You dont want to cut any corners when it comes to making it. There are kits you can purchase that comes with everything you need to start. Just find some local restaurants and make a deal with the owners, you save him money and you got fuel, awesome.

Old 08-24-2010, 08:28 PM
DwRam
Professional
Default BioDiesel Trial

I have a contact wanting to test the next generation Bio fuel made from soy oil. So I have a 2005 Sprinter 2.7L and a 2000 Ford 7.3L that I'm going to start running B30 in as a trial. He says it wont gel below 32 degrees F. I'll let you know what I find if your interested.

Old 08-25-2010, 11:16 AM
skuzatko
Default biodiesel

Yea, Let us know, One thing, I've been told that biodiesel is a solvent, so any rubber that you have will have to be changed out to synthetic hoses.
The biodiesel breaks down the natural substances in the rubber. Just a heads up,l keep us informed.

Old 08-26-2010, 06:13 AM
hounds
Rookie

Main thing to watch for is fuel pressures and fuel filters. GET a FP guage. Find out what the pressures need to be heading into your IP. This is the most least expensive preventative maint. one can do.
You MAY have to run an auxillary fuel pump inline to help keep the pressures up to par.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:42 PM
hiperf2007
Rookie
Talking My New Warranty...

I started making BIO about 4 years ago. Right before I started, I decided to make a seperate checking account for the savings. $4.65 per gallon of diesel / $0.42 per gallon of BIO. To this day, I have over $9800 in that account. That is including going in the hole at first spending $1200 to build my own setup, buying methanol and lye. You quickly climb out of the hole if you simply do the math.
$4.65 * 35 = $162.75
$0.42 * 35 = $14.70
Savings = $148.05 PER TANK

When diesel was almost $5 per gallon, I could fill my pick for under $15. A little over 8 fills and I saved myself almost $1200. More than enough to replace a injection pump.
I made my own warranty.
To this day, everything that I would have spent at the pump, goes into my BIO account.
$9800 and still climbing. Hell I can replace a motor, injection pump, lift pump, and a 12 pack with that $$$.
Now days with diesel prices lower, I still save. Now as much, but I make the fuel while I'm mowing the grass or being lazy with a 6 pack.
The fact that I never have to pull up to a fuel pump (minus the one in my garage) from Apirl - November is worth it to me.

I tell you the best part, when diesel was $5 per gallon and you pull up and run in a store and just leave your pickup run 24/7 and have people think your nutz when they are pulling up to a stop sign and shutting there motors down while stopped.

Old 10-30-2010, 08:09 AM
hounds
Rookie

Kevin, Ditto to that!

Not sure how you are able to make bio for .42, the least expensive I have made it is .65. Guess its what part of the country your in with respect to Methanol and caustics.

I still save $7500 annually on fuel.
Been running bio and WVO/Bio blends for 7 yrs in same truck.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:11 PM
skuzatko

Amen to that Guys. Cant be a better feeling than running into a gas station for something besdes fuel and flippen off the fuel company and tellin them" I Dont Need You"!!

Old 12-06-2010, 04:58 AM
HDDoug2500
Default less embodied energy, more lubricity

so after running BD in multiple trucks, and doing some research; i have to say that average biodiesel has approx. 9% less embodied energy by vol. So on 1 gal. of Bd you get about the same work done as .91 gal. Straight diesel... don't care about the anecdotal evidence, this has been scientifically documented. BD does lubricate/clean/clog filters more. This can be a +/- in different situations.
Personally the best mileage/power i've ever gotten was off red dye. Thats right! All the stuff they filter out the ULSD actually makes these engines run better if left in. Leave it to the whackos to insist we filter our diesel to make it burn cleaner, only to have to burn more to go the same distance...let alone to absolute stupidity of taking what should be one of our most abundant food sources and chemically altering it into an inferior fuel, while being charged more for it than traditional diesel (and having the gov't subsidize it). Sure you can run a diesel off a crazy array of different things if you HAVE to, that doesn't mean you should do it all the time. Ex...show me a nat'l sled or drag champ running B100.

Quick Reply: Question about Biodiesel