Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
View Poll Results: A poll
No Experience
66.67%
Ive used it in my Cummins
29.73%
Ive used it in something other than my Cummins
3.60%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Question about Biodiesel

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 03:58 AM
toyhaulersdream07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bought in Arkansas, Tenn and Ohio- last yr while driving cross country. Motor ran quieter,When I returned home performed an oil change - no real noticiable difference, but lab tesing was not involved LOL,Checked fuel filter and changed it- no issues, ave mpg was at 20-22, using my smarty jr programmer in fuel management mode. about 1 mpg better than reg diesel

Those are my thoughts- hard to find it here in so,tx

Jeff

Old 03-20-2011, 09:12 PM
DFresh

Just bought a 2005 Laramie w/ 5.9L 24V diesel - How well does this convert and perform.
I have noticed in forums that the '02 and older 24V was not a good idea.
thanks

Old 04-03-2011, 10:34 AM
hiperf2007
Rookie
Talking

[QUOTE=HDDoug2500;2340754] BD does lubricate/clean/clog filters more. This can be a +/- in different situations.QUOTE]

Hey - if I have to throw 5 filters at my truck over a course of 1 month at a cost of $7.50 each, to save over $100 each time I fill up; i'm game. Clogged filters means Bio is cleaning out the tank. Clean tank, clean lines = clean pump*clean injectors = happy cummins.

Old 04-03-2011, 10:41 AM
hiperf2007
Rookie
Talking

Originally Posted by hounds
Kevin, Ditto to that!

Not sure how you are able to make bio for .42, the least expensive I have made it is .65. Guess its what part of the country your in with respect to Methanol and caustics.

I still save $7500 annually on fuel.
Been running bio and WVO/Bio blends for 7 yrs in same truck.
1 batch of 40 gallons
Free WVO = $0.00
2lbs LYE = $1.98
Methanol = $15.84 (8 gallons)

$17.82 Per 40 gallons / $.44 Per Gallon.

This year I am recovering methanol as well. I will be starting my production here in MN this next week. Once I start producing and recovering my methanol, I expect to have it down to $.28 Per Gallon (Minus few hours of power)

Old 04-03-2011, 02:51 PM
hounds
Rookie

Good for you Kevin, more power to ya for that price. Wish it was easier to get free WVO or close to the .25 I was paying. S$#t even at .50 I WISH.

Heres my sad reality in the NorthEastern US.

Can't get enough oil unless we pay .75 to $1.00/Gallon
Methanol is $3.00/Gallon in bulk.
KOH $2.50/# bagged.

400G batch:
KOH (6.5#) $16.00
MeOH 80G $240
WVO $300
Time. Filter,etc. ? $50
Electicity and fuel to run pump and boiler (heat it) $10est.

$600+- for a 400G batch = $1.50/Gallon.

Nominal daytime temps above 45F I can do a batch in 6 hrs including washing, not including drying. But, drying happens on its own.

I'll still take that any day of the week though.

Dfresh,
I ran the '02 with the HO engine and it RUNS fine, its the damned Bosch VP44 with all its electrical brains BS that makes this truck die all the time. I have replaced the IP on my truck THREE times from 70K to 175K . It is just too damned tempermental.
It died on straight diesel after only 1 yr NO bio in it.
I would look at a better made IP if I were you. Not sure what's in the '03 and newer ones.

One thing I can tell you from my experience. Don't use the old saying 10micron. Always get your finished product down to 5 or less.

Old 04-03-2011, 07:06 PM
hiperf2007
Rookie
Talking Bio

I used NaOH myself. It's cheaper and I can use less. Win-win. I know KOH can work better if you have low quanity oil and it's easier to work with but I look at both prices and think to myself; "I'm out to save money" If it takes 5 minutes longer to mix the Lye into the Meth - oh well.
At that price I didn't figure Electric cost. I run my pump / heater for about 2 hours. That is not including warm up time. That doesn't include warm time and drying time.
Bottom line is I prob spend a little more but I don't noticed a difference in the $$ bill when I start making it so in a monthly time of making bio, my bill doesn't even raise $10.
I suppose for the people that want to save every cent they could build some solar panels with some batteries to run the pump and heater along with wind towers. Can anybody say over board?
I enjoy making it. I pitty people at the pumps all summer long until I fall in line at the pumps again next winter.
I normally start the pump and heater and go out and mow the lawn (big lawn).
I pull up and check the temp and go back to mowing. When it's high enough I stop and mix my lye and meth together, inject it, turn the heater off and go back to mowing. I keep checking on it and turn the heater off and on to keep temp. When I get done mowing, I check it and if its done I add my 5% prewash and go in the house and clean up.
I come back out after 15 minutes and shut the system off over night.
So I don't waste much time doing it. Maybe a total time of 15 minutes for a batch of 40 or 80. I have 6 places around here calling me to come pick up oil.

Old 11-25-2011, 10:29 AM
jesseh46
Default B99.9

I run biodiesel in my truck with no problems,truck runs a lot quieter, and does not hits my pocket hard,I pay 15 to 20 cents less, mpg is the same 17 to 18 in tha city up to 23.5 hyw, I senior now (I usully don't hot rod anymore unless there is Chevy besides)

Old 06-16-2012, 04:05 PM
3dubs
Rookie

Originally Posted by Kev_n_AZ
during WWII, our guys in Europe used ANYTHING that would pour down into the fuel tank for the diesel powered equipment..tanks, trucks, etc...

they used VODKA and other liquors too.
"
I know this is an old thread but this is absolutely wrong. They put anything the could in multi fuel engines not diesels. You go putting gas in your diesel and you will have problems. The multi-fuel engines are capable of running on almost any liquid that is flamable but the engine needs to be adjusted for the fuel. It is not as simple as just pour stuff in the tank. But almost that simple. But do not try that with a diesel engine unless you like repair bills.

Old 04-19-2013, 09:08 PM
Tsittaro

Ok so I traded my 01 dura max that I burned my own home made diesel from wvo. Used it only from may to oct ran great. Now I have a 2012 Cummings 1200 miles an was wondering if its good to burn or should I sell my machine an stockpile? Also just want to do a program change which are the best?

Old 04-20-2013, 01:20 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they sell B5 (5% bio) at the pump at one of the safeway gas stations around here.

I've ran both my jetta and cummins on it. No power difference. Mileage was decent though.

Quick Reply: Question about Biodiesel