Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tire Pressure Monitor Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2008, 07:57 AM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Tire Pressure Monitor Light

[sm=rant.gif]
A light that come on in the dash when the tire pressure is too low won't majically fix the low tire. Do they really think those fat lazy people are gonna get off their a$$ and check the tireswhen the light comes on? If they didn't check the tires before, then they are not going to now. If they get in, turn the key and it starts they are going to drive it. If theautomakers were really concerned about saving lives, they would have made it so that the truck would not start or run in limp modeif the tire pressure is too low. I'm sure that isn't too far off in the near future. All it is going to take is for one of the big 3 to get sued because the tire went flat and someone had an accident because the truck still ran.

Old 03-26-2008, 08:34 AM
12valveman
Professional

no not too many actually fill their tires by themselves when the light comes on they bring it in to me at the dealership and say that there is a light on in the dash and they need to have it looked at

Old 03-26-2008, 08:01 PM
CowboyBob
Record Breaker

I'm sure there are a percentage of people who do bring it in to the dealer when the light comes on, but there is also the group that drive it till it breaks and has to be towed in.

Old 03-26-2008, 09:04 PM
Sereguial
Professional

I recently bought an 08 Charger R/T and it has the tire pressure sensor too, and a few guys on the Charger Forums said that it is actually illegal to disable the damn things... I don't no if this is true, but might want to be careful. I believe the sensor is part of the valve stem isn't it? So when you get new tires it shouldn't be a big deal to get them swapped over (hopefully), but I also heard they are pretty easy to damage if the tire guy doesn't know what he is doing. That is what I have heard when it comes to the Charger's tire pressure sensor, and I would imagine that they are similar if not the same.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:07 PM
Mike101

Newbie here. Light Load button/sensor and dang light on dash. I have an '08 mega cab with 4800 k's on it. tires are 60 front / 70 back. I have been towing since day 3 with the truck so never reduced the back yet to 45. I asked the dealer how it works, he said read the manual. Not helpfull. My tires are set for towing because I tow a camper. However, even when I follow the tire pressure on the door for towing, the dang light still comes on every 38 k's and off 30 after. I have 60 psi in the front and 70 in the back. I have a 6000 lbs trailer on the back but the light comes on and beeps. I just don't undestand this thing. last camp trip this weekend then the trailer goes to strage and the tires in back do to 45 as the door indicates. Anybody know if this will stop the stupid beep and light ? Do I have to push the light load button right after I lower the tires ?

Old 09-17-2008, 07:26 PM
Ben D.
Champion

the monitors are total PITA's only the 25 and 3500 have the light load switch 1500 it's just one way to go. I personally have only had my truck for about six months and i hate that light already. It is so sensitive even on a cold morning it will set the light off until afternoon.

AZ have you driven it after filling the tires up? if you fill the tires up while the truck is off the truck has to be driven like 15 min before the sensors will take new readings and deactivate the light.

the light load switch is just meant to switch what the minimum pressure the system should kick on at is. on a light load you could have a lower PSI than with a heavy load or vice versa i forget exactly how that works. but none the less iagree the system is a PITA.

Old 09-19-2008, 07:57 AM
Mike101

Update. Hooked up the trailer this morning to bring to work. TPM light came on right away as I pulled off the driveway. it went off in only a few minutes. It understood a change in the back, identified it and then accepted it. Could it have actually worked as planned ?? Oh you test my patience TPM !

Old 06-14-2010, 12:51 AM
tommy0911

i have a dodge caliber 2008, exclamation point comes on everytime i start it up, someone told me check tire pressure but i set them and it still dont turn the light off, and also another thing when i turn on my left turn signal my left headlight goes out, doesnt do it on the right side, i imagine that a wiring issue, any advice? thanks

Old 06-25-2010, 11:01 PM
kootenay boy

I bought my 08 2500 with 6800 miles on it in the spring of 09 and for the first few months the tpsm light only came on at start up as it should. Then October first the light came on and stayed on. In November I mounted my winter wheels with no sensors so expected the light to stay on which it did. In March 2010 the stock wheels and tires went back on and the light stayed on. In May the truck went into a dealer for a recall to reprogram the computer on a recall. The tpsm light went out as well. I thought great. Lasted about a week and the light is back on. I`ve tried every pressure combination I can think of, no luck. As for the light load switch no one here knew what it was for and it`s not even mentioned in the owners manual. I finally did find out what it is supposed to do from another dealer. There seems to be no fix for this annoying light except don`t put it on in the first place. People need to be responsible for themselves like it used to be and not expect to be babysat all their lives. We also have a Toyota Tacoma and the tpsm actually does what it`s supposed to do. Light came on one day and my girlfriend discovered a low tire. Tire shop found a nail in it. Big three get your act together and put out a product that doesn`t have these annoying issues. No wonder they got into financial trouble. My 01 2500 Cummins had no issues what so ever nor does my 92 12 valve. My rant for the day.

Old 07-03-2010, 10:32 PM
Dennis4809

Get a 3500, TPMS not an issue. Only required on 2500 and below.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure Monitor Light