Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Diesel article in April Car and Driver

Old 04-01-2008, 09:39 AM
Joel_MD
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diesel article in April Car and Driver

I picked up a Car and Driver mag yesterday to read about the new 2008 Challenger. Csaba Csere's monthly column was about diesel engines and diesel fuel economics, how worldwide demand for diesel fuel is increasing, and why diesel fuel will continue to be more expensive for us in the future. Csaba explained why US refineries produce less diesel from a barrel of crude compared to other countries, and how it will take years for them to increase diesel fuel production. I wish the picture was a little rosier, but it looks like there is no relief in sight for diesel fuel prices. As for me, I used to drive my Ram to work about four days a week and my Chrysler 300M the other day. Now I'm driving my 300M about three days per week.

Old 04-01-2008, 11:35 AM
73Jim
Veteran
Default RE: Diesel article in April Car and Driver

Tell me about it! I bought a Geo Prizm from my neighbor about 2 years ago. I bought it from my neighbors because we have frequent house guests and its nice to have a spare car. It has 200K miles on it but they bought it new and it's in really nice shape. Now I use it to commute to work 2-3 days a week. It also gives me new appreciation for my truck when I drive it!

Old 04-01-2008, 02:40 PM
behindbars

I drive a P.O.S. sunfire back and forth to work. Hate sitting in that little car but 28-30 mpg and parts about half the cost of the Ram, I'll run her till she dies.

Old 04-01-2008, 05:54 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 222 Likes on 207 Posts

there is relief... in the form of GTL... Shell is now offering it, (saw an ad on TV)... if we could get into production on it we could say F-U to the oil barrons... GTL is made from natural gas IIRC... I used it for a while and liked it, then the price jumped after about 2 months as it was blended with #2...

Old 04-01-2008, 06:08 PM
04QC4X4
Captain

I drive a 91 Regal to work and back, but I'm afraid its about to bite the dust. It only has 90k miles on it, but the ABS system is giving me trouble and keeps running down the battery when I shut it off. It gets about 24 mpg while the Ram only gets about 14 mpg,so even though its not much fun to drive it is the only way I can afford to get to work and back (70 miles roundtrip).

Old 04-01-2008, 07:59 PM
Bigriver

I'm wondering if the current truckers strike/protest will create something positive out this. Sure hope so, with all the diesel engines out there......private and commercial, you'd think that industry would address the need.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:15 PM
Joel_MD
Captain

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

I'm wondering if the current truckers strike/protest will create something positive out this. Sure hope so, with all the diesel engines out there......private and commercial, you'd think that industry would address the need.
The oil industry is not the problem here. We need a bigger supply of crude oil, and more domestic refining capacity. Industry will be there to supply our needs, as always. What they need is a clear path to victory, with fewer roadblocks from the goofy environmentalists and their toadies in the US Congress. We can start by allowing industry to build some refineries. The oil companieshave been unable to build any refineries in the US for about 30 years. Then we need to allow more drilling, both offshore and in Northern Alaska. It would take several years to build up the additional capability, but at least we would be moving in the right direction. Currently Congress is doing absolutely nothing to fix this problem. They created it, so they need to fix it.

Old 04-02-2008, 12:20 AM
Mayfair
Legend

I mentioned last week that I test drove a Scion Xb and liked it, yet the 10K pricetag had me going back and forth and I decided to bail. I think it would be a break even thing. So here's the new question ...

At what price does diesel have to rise to, or how wide of a gap between diesel and regular does it become foolish NOT to spend 10K on a replacement daily driver?

This whole thing really sucks that I even hafta consider giving up driving my Ram and jump into something less safe with a car payment just to stay afloat. I've heard people mention getting a 2K beater, but I really need the dependability as well as the economy.

Old 04-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Bigriver

ORIGINAL: Joel_MD

ORIGINAL: Bigriver

The oil industry is not the problem here. We need a bigger supply of crude oil, and more domestic refining capacity. Industry will be there to supply our needs, as always. What they need is a clear path to victory, with fewer roadblocks from the goofy environmentalists and their toadies in the US Congress. We can start by allowing industry to build some refineries. The oil companieshave been unable to build any refineries in the US for about 30 years. Then we need to allow more drilling, both offshore and in Northern Alaska. It would take several years to build up the additional capability, but at least we would be moving in the right direction. Currently Congress is doing absolutely nothing to fix this problem. They created it, so they need to fix it.
I whole heartedly agree with your statement, and had been beating that drum long before this post. Really what I was trying to get across was that industry should dedicate more production of diesel from the crude that they have to work with.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel article in April Car and Driver