Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

48re Transmission upgrades?

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2008, 10:45 AM
RDEVL
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 48re Transmission upgrades?

I ran into some tranny problems and I'm looking for advice.

I have a 2006 Cummins 4x4 quadcab. Upgrades include: Bully Dog Triple dog programmer, AFE stage 2 cold air intake, 4" exhaust, KORE lift kit, 35" toyo MT's on 20" Diablo wheels. I pull a 37' Weekend Warrior fifth wheel toy hauler weighing around 16,000 lbs.

At 40,000 miles the tranny blew up. a couple of trips before I noticed it was having trouble deciding which gear to stay in when towing or in slow rush hour traffic. It was determined that the torque converter blew up. Truck is under warranty so Dodge replaced the tranny with a newly rebuilt Dogde 48RE.

I know this will happen again because of the added power and the load I tow soI want to upgrade the tranny components. I've researched the different brands and have determined that I will go with either ATS, BD, or Suncoast products.

I was hoping to just replace the torque converter and add a double deep pan and be done with it for around $2k all up an in. The problem is when I talk to different shopsor manufacturersI get prescribed many different solutions. They suggest replacing everything like the valve body, accumalator piston, flex plate, all of the bands and clutches, and billet input shafts. This bumps the price up to over $5k! I really don't want to put that kind of money into it.

I'm not looking for race performance just dependability.
Please advise,

Old 04-05-2008, 10:53 AM
DBLR
Record Breaker
Default RE: 48re Transmission upgrades?

Call dave at: http://www.goerend.com/ tell him what you need and he will tell you what you will need for upgardes to your trans to be dependable once more.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:06 AM
al5608
Professional
Default RE: 48re Transmission upgrades?

Sounds like you have a great dealer to work with. I can't believe they gave you a new transmission under warranty with all you've don't to your truck.

Quick Reply: 48re Transmission upgrades?