Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

g56 shifting probs

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 01:29 AM
dixiedodge7369
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default g56 shifting probs

so saturday i had to work.... ****ty start to any story huh!!! well around 3 my boss calls my name from down the shop and goes "get your truck i got a job for you" which means i get to drag something.
so hes like caddy in the lot no keys i need it in the lot down the street have at it...
so i put my tow straps to the caddy hitch it to the truck and i have to finagle it through the lot out to the street and grab the caddy about a block.....mind you no keys which means its stuck in park and the steering wheel is locked. so im dragging it with all 4 wheels locked... commen thing at my shop seeing house sales looses about 30 keys a day.. but any way so i dragg it into the paint shop lot.and i go to reverse to get out of the lot it wont go... try to put it in 1st wont go it wont go into any gears.... so i fidget with the clutch and the transfer case lever no luck i had a few co workers try and rock the truck a little to see if it would fall into gear. no luck so i tug on the shifter with 2 hands and it grinds aand falls into reverse
so i reverse out of the lot and take it for a spin... figuring maybe since i was dragging this caddy in 1st it just needs to kick up some lube and get all over the syncros. so it shifts fine while moving and as soooon as slow it wont go into gear im like WHAT THE F%$* so i turn her off and go inside call my iowa dodge dealer and was abotu ready to have them send a tranny or a rebuild kit.. but im like theres NO WAY that dragging this 5000 pound car jazzzed up my tranny.. it should be way more beefy then that. so i went back to work came out after work and it went into gear just as easly as it ever has???????
im lost the only thing i can think of is the clutch got reallly hot...... but it dident slip when i took it for a spin...... maybe the brake fluid in the slave got hot?????? the pedal felt fine thooo.. its been 3 days and its been fine.... who knows any one have any ideas?

Old 04-03-2007, 01:39 AM
CutterW
Captain
Default RE: g56 shifting probs

The only reason I've ever seen a tranny do that is pulling a gooseneck steel trailor full of hay and by the time they drove 200 miles of hills and try'ed to back up the tranny was to hot. (Chevy) they shoulda just took the dodge

Old 04-03-2007, 01:48 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I'm guessing hot tranny too. I pull a 8500 lb camper and I haven't had that problem, but I can tell you that after I get home and unhook and unload (hour or so) my tranny is still too hot to touch. We could use some type of circulating cooler on our trannies. I think I'll invent one.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:08 AM
dixiedodge7369
Professional

thatd be a very good idea u could prolly use the drain plug and fill plug for a pickup and return. of if you had it out u could tap your own
but thatssounds like an idea. i might have to make one up.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:11 AM
jakebrake
Champion

I wonder if you could get a small electric pump and mount a trans cooler on the frame or something. I know the otrs have an internal pump in the trans to do that.

Old 04-03-2007, 02:23 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

That's exactly what I was thinking. A small electric pump draw fluid from the drain plug, through a filter then to a tranny cooler, then either back to the fill plug or better yet, tap a hole in top and let the cool fluid go back over the internals. That has been a concern of mine since I found out we didn't have any cooler or pump. My '99 Ford with a ZF tranny had a pump in the tranny and a cooler just like an auto would. Does anone have access to drawings of the G56 tranny? An exploded view would be best. Who makes this tranny anyway Getrag?

Old 04-03-2007, 02:28 AM
jakebrake
Champion

From what I am told, it is a mercedes transmission.I wonder if the dealer would be able to supply you with an exploded parts diagram. I'll try around though and see what my connections can do

Old 04-03-2007, 02:52 AM
dixiedodge7369
Professional

yeai have looked up the exploded view on dodges dealership only online tech manuals i forget how good of pics they were but when i get back to work friday( i have vw training class the next 3 days) i will look up the pic and try and upload it to the fourm. my password is in myBox and yes its a benz tranny[:@]

Old 04-03-2007, 10:39 AM
Drew
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. pilot bearing is shot
2. clutch disk somehow did not release fully from the flywheel
3. the DMF is FUBAR'd

one question though, do you still have the same travel on the clutch pedal???

Old 04-03-2007, 09:30 PM
dixiedodge7369
Professional

i had all those running through my head but its now been 4 days no prob what so ever. clutch travel was fine. the brake fluid is geting dirty tho... im about to hit 16k and even before the prob i was thinking about a brake fluid flush and bleeding the clutch. but its been fine ever since so im thinking it was some sort of glitch....

Quick Reply: g56 shifting probs