Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

cruise control out of control!

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2005, 07:10 PM
Bananas!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control out of control!

First of all, I'm a newbie here, so, hello everybody! I've got a 1996 2500 Diesel 4x4 extended cab. I now have 112,000 miles on it and up until now has been a great machine. Recently the cruise control has developed a problem where when it is set, it will accellerate until it is wide open. Also, the left door speaker has started crackling and popping. This happened at the same time as the cruise malfunction. I suspect that these two problems are related somehow. Anybody ever had this problem?

Bananas!

Old 01-16-2005, 08:35 PM
DURTGURL81
Rookie
Default RE: cruise control out of control!

could have been a bad wire job somewhere, but it sounds to me as though it could be just something else that happened at the same time. my brother is a dodge mechanic, and i asked him about it, and thats what he said. but he was also sure that both of the problems have nothing to do with eachother, and that you do have an older model truck, and dodge doesnt make a great sound system if it still is stock.
have a good one.
durtygurl

Old 01-21-2005, 10:32 AM
jetmech

not real familiar with diesels but my 96 had a similar problem with the cruise control when I played with the defog/vent settings **** and after I replaced ALL the vacumm lines, even the ones that work the heating/ac vents inside the cab the problem went away.

Old 01-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Bananas!

Well, after checking out the the various cruise components, I found that the servo wouldn't hold a vacuum. It would leak down. Called Dodge and they wanted $109 for a new one and it would take a week to get here. Soooo... it was off to my farorite U-Pull It junk yard where I took one out of an Intrepid (Chrysler used the same servo on many models over a variety of years). Cost me a whopping $4.50. Went home and put it in. Works just fine!!!

Bananas!

Quick Reply: cruise control out of control!