Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

first mod??

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2009, 09:24 PM
556fmj
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default first mod??

06 CTD with a G56, totally stock... what would your first mod be?

Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Gauges. Boost, EGT, and Fuel Pressure. This is essential to know whats happening under the hood...

Straight pipe it. Or put on a performance muffler. Get rid of the cat at the same time.

Air Intake. Lift pump (AirDog or FASS.) Clutch. Programmer. Injectors. CP3 mods. Turbo. The list goes on. But definately gauges, exhaust, and intake.

Old 02-02-2009, 09:57 PM
556fmj
Professional

would it be better to go with the smarty and a set of gauges, or is the juice with attitude a better setup, since it acts as gauges?

Old 02-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Bass Hunter
Veteran

The Smarty is probably one of the best programmers out there. You will need the gauges with it and you have to keep an eye on whats going on. the edge will make less power but comes with gauges and will defuel at set safety parameters. The only way the smarty will defuel is for you to take your foot off the throttle. I have a bit of a hard time going easy on it. One other advantage of the smarty is you can recalibrate for larger tires.

Old 02-03-2009, 09:43 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 223 Likes on 208 Posts

for a 1st mod the edge juice with attitude monitor would be a good one... has all the gauges included and defueling set points.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 PM
556fmj
Professional

I noticed that the smarty website says that it is "undetectable" to the dealer. I got a free 5/50,000 extended warranty (for a total of 85K miles, and 5.5 more years... and the cummins has the 100K warranty) when I bought my truck, so I want to keep that in tact as long as possible. Anyone know if the juice/attitude leaves an ECU trace that may screw me?
Parts/service, I did read that sticky with the dealers info... what all will a "normal" dealer turn their heads to, and what will perk their ears up to voiding/not honoring my warranty? I'm not looking to screw anyone, I just want a bit more mileage/driveability, and don't want to mess up my warranty.

Old 02-03-2009, 11:03 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

Originally Posted by 556fmj
would it be better to go with the smarty and a set of gauges, or is the juice with attitude a better setup, since it acts as gauges?
Depends on what you want from your truck. If your looking for real good power and to surprise many people how well a diesel truck can run, then yea, Smarty is an excellent choice. I love mine, and its never coming off my truck.

Now if you want mild power, mostly towing and maybe some extra mieage, then the Edge Juice/Attitude is an excellent choice. With the Hot Unlock, itll still get down pretty good, but not as well as the Smarty. Then you can turn it down for normal driving.

I got Smarty, then a month or so later I finally got my EGT and boost gauges. The EGT gauge worked for about a week, then started working intermittenly, and after about a month it stopped working altogether. And that was nearly 2 years ago. That entire time Smarty has been turned up on kill, and Im NOT scared to open her up. Give it hell every day, especially getting on the interstate. Havent burned anything down yet (knock on wood) But Im about to order a new one here in about 30 minutes...I dont recommend running over stock power without atleast an idea of what temps are...

Old 02-04-2009, 07:55 AM
Coal Train
All Star

1 - Gauges. '06 with a manual tranny.....EGT, Boost and Rail Pressure
2 - Exhaust.
3 - Intake
4 - FASS or Airdog. 95 GPH for stock to light mods, 150 GPH for moderate to heavy mods
5 - Clutch and input shaft.

After that, go to town.

Old 02-04-2009, 07:58 AM
Midnight SRT
Nightly Creeper
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Let her breathe. Cold air intake and exhaust.

Old 02-04-2009, 04:43 PM
SpLaT
Captain

Guages!! Gauges are cool, DC cheaped out and gave us the bare bones for guages.
First mod I did was guages, this gave me base numbers, so when I added other "go faster" parts I could see what was going on with each addition.

Some have suggested prgrammers such as the edge and smarty, both are good programmers. Myself, I run a smarty jr with PoD and stacked with Dr. performance module. The smarty jr. keeps things from getting out of control like EGTs and over fueling, and with the PoD I can increase or decrease power on the fly. This helps big time when running with 6" lift and 35x13.5 tires at 70-80mph!