Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Oil weeping out of my exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 07:52 PM
CCR542
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil weeping out of my exhaust

I just bought a 2006 2500 with a 5.9 and noticed a litlle oil weeping out of the exhaust on the joint just past the turbo and before the Cat. How common is this and should I be concerned?

Old 03-15-2009, 09:02 PM
High_On_Diesel
Professional

At the V-Band clamp that mounts the down pipe to the turbine housing? If so, it could be seals leaking in the turbo. I wouldn't consider it a common problem...increased oil consumption, blue smoke...not that good. I would pull the intercooler boots to see if it is passing through the compressor housing seals. It is not an immediate danger, but I would consider fixing it. Is the truck still under Cummins warranty? If so, let'em know!

Old 03-16-2009, 09:23 AM
Coal Train
All Star

Originally Posted by High_On_Diesel
At the V-Band clamp that mounts the down pipe to the turbine housing? If so, it could be seals leaking in the turbo. I wouldn't consider it a common problem...increased oil consumption, blue smoke...not that good. I would pull the intercooler boots to see if it is passing through the compressor housing seals. It is not an immediate danger, but I would consider fixing it. Is the truck still under Cummins warranty? If so, let'em know!
Actually, this can become a very serious problem very fast if the seals in the turbo are going / gone.

This is what causes a run away in a diesel.

If the seals go and the oil starts getting into the compressor side of the turbo, the oil starts feeding the engine and you can't shut it off, causing a run away.

How many miles are on the truck? I ask because this isn't a very common problem.

How does your air filter look? Any restrictions? Restricted intake is usually what blows the seals on the turbo.

Either way, it sounds like that turbo is in need of a rebuild.

Pull the intake off and check for scoring on the compressor housing from where the impeller has madw contact with the housing. If this exists, the turbo needs to be rebuilt or replaced.

If you have a dial indicator, check for end play. The end play should be between .026 mm and .127 mm. If it's not in that range, it needs to be rebuilt / replaced.

Use a feeler gauge to check for radial play. The allowable measurements are .013 - .020 inches. Outside that, rebuild / replace.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:43 AM
High_On_Diesel
Professional

There ya go! Coal Train always has the useful info! Another darn good post...one day...when I grow up...I wanna be jus like COAL TRAIN!!! LoL...j/k bud. Get to checkin then get to fixin. Good luck!

Old 03-22-2009, 01:09 PM
CCR542

Here's an update. The truck only had 8900 miles on it when I bought it and now has 10,500. It was sitting for three months on the dealers lot before I got it. After doing some asking around I was told it could be the waste gate? I cleaned the oil off the exhuast (it was just a very little bit right in front of the cat) and after driving it for a week there is no more oil showing. I assume it was just from sitting for so long. And yes I have a 100,000 mile bump2bump warranty, which leads me to another question. If I install the Banks air intake with the power scoop will that affect my warranty? There's some other things I would like to add like the six gun and intercooler from banks. Thanks for the responses, you guys are great!

Old 03-22-2009, 08:06 PM
Scott91370
Professional

That is going to depend on your dealer. I would say most dealers will not like it with upgrades, evem if they do not effect the drivability.

Quick Reply: Oil weeping out of my exhaust