Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

question on the new ctd..

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 11:43 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default question on the new ctd..

I test drove a quad cab 2500 ST long box 4x4 with the 6.7 and six speed, 373 ltd slip.

To my surprise, the truck did not out perform my 06 reg cab SLT 5.7 hemi 2500 6sp 4x4, 373 ltd slip.

Booth trucks are geared low, and I wasent towing moutians on the test drive, I just wanted to get a a base line on the new CTD, I really did find any thing special driving the 6.7.

I may need the quad cab and thier could be a 5th wheal in the picture, I don't want a quad cab long box with the hemi, and I need the long box for work + long boxs are better towing for 5th wheals...

any ways, should I drive anothier CTD with a 6sp? , Automatics are not going to happen, I hate them, and my 6sp in my 06 ram tows just fine.

Whats the break in time for the 6.7? Could thier be a chance that a new 6.7 needs time to break in?

Old 03-04-2009, 11:48 PM
rfeiller
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a mfg's recommendation of 500 mile break in period.

the difference is economy, low end torque for towing, you really see the difference in heavy loads and mountains.

Old 03-05-2009, 04:46 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

Originally Posted by cyclone429
I test drove a quad cab 2500 ST long box 4x4 with the 6.7 and six speed, 373 ltd slip.

To my surprise, the truck did not out perform my 06 reg cab SLT 5.7 hemi 2500 6sp 4x4, 373 ltd slip.

Booth trucks are geared low, and I wasent towing moutians on the test drive, I just wanted to get a a base line on the new CTD, I really did find any thing special driving the 6.7.

I may need the quad cab and thier could be a 5th wheal in the picture, I don't want a quad cab long box with the hemi, and I need the long box for work + long boxs are better towing for 5th wheals...

any ways, should I drive anothier CTD with a 6sp? , Automatics are not going to happen, I hate them, and my 6sp in my 06 ram tows just fine.

Whats the break in time for the 6.7? Could thier be a chance that a new 6.7 needs time to break in?
When you say it did not "outperform" your Hemi-powered Ram, what do you mean? Are you just talking acceleration? You're not going to win any drag races with the 6.7L and six-speed manual. The 6.7L will definitely outperform the Hemi when you are pulling a heavy trailer. And yes, there certainly is a break-in period. Mine just hit 20,000 miles, and the fuel economy is still gradually increasing.

What the heck is a "moutian"?

Old 03-05-2009, 07:09 PM
scatpack_69
All Star

I was wondering the same thing. What exactly you mean by not outperforming your Hemi

Old 03-05-2009, 07:14 PM
bekim
Professional

I was seeing MPG gains all the way to 30,000 miles. And the diesel and the gas motors do not compare for towing abilities/ capacity/ dealing with the heat. Just towing my 3 ton boat trailer there is no comparison between my previous 2 Dodge gas powered trucks and the Cummins. I get 18 mpg towing the boat 70 mph in the dessert in the midday heat. That would never happen with a hemi. If you're buying to win a STOCK drag race stick with the hemi, if you're looking for real towing ability then it's diesel. You can also program your stock hemi to get 20 or 30 more Hp compared to 100+ more Hp from you Cummins with just a tuner.
Mike
###

Last edited by bekim; 03-05-2009 at 07:17 PM.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:06 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

I was expecting the 6.7 to be a rocket, not the case.
In normanl driving my gas hemi and the ctd felt identical, the rear gearing and the G56 manual transmison are the same.

Betwean 1500 Rpms, 2 to 3rd, 4 5 and 6 booth trucks are so close in performance based on the seat of the pants method, the 6speeds are not drag racers.

I will have to arange a test drive with the CTD towing what I use my hemi for to decifer if thiers any real advantage to the 6.7.

The last CTD I drove was a 05 with the 5.9 and automatic, that truck was a monster ..

Old 03-24-2009, 10:11 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

to up date...

I drove the SL ctd 6sp towing 7000 lbs of cribbing fourms, same ammount I tow with my hemi.
On flat ground, booth my hemi and the ctd are so close, but put them booth on the hills the CTD really out pulls my hemi, that should be expected, but even I was surprised to find the ctd acclerating threw 2 3 and 4 gears, where as my hemi really has to work..

I did booth drives with the salesperson and he admited the SL ctd was really not up to ctd standards, not that my hemi has any thing over a ctd, just that this SL model needs a reflash or a up date to the programing.

The sales person and the dealer are really working hard to get me into this truck, but if I go into a CTD, I want a mim SLT model with the six sp.

Just kicks I have driven a automatic with the 6.7 and thier quick + packing all kinds of power, but I hate automatics.

I'm also amazed how much room the 6.7 CTD takes up in the engine bay...

Old 03-25-2009, 12:06 AM
Scott91370
Professional

The 6.7 is lacking since it does have the emisions equipment. And you said on your test drive it didn't out perform your hemi. Remember, you have a gasser with a regular cab and you were driving a diesel with a quad cab- it will weigh about 700lbs more, at least. So even if it wasn't quicker it was still moving more weight at the same speeds. And yes, the break in period is going to result in much better performance/mileage.

I woudn't own one of these 'hemis'. 15mpg and less capable of being a truck.

Old 03-25-2009, 10:35 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Scott91370
The 6.7 is lacking since it does have the emisions equipment. And you said on your test drive it didn't out perform your hemi. Remember, you have a gasser with a regular cab and you were driving a diesel with a quad cab- it will weigh about 700lbs more, at least. So even if it wasn't quicker it was still moving more weight at the same speeds. And yes, the break in period is going to result in much better performance/mileage.

I woudn't own one of these 'hemis'. 15mpg and less capable of being a truck.
Who have you been talking to, With some minor mods like true dual ex, volant CAI, I'm pulling 22 mpg high way with light loads at 60 mph 1750 Rpm in 6th gear, Empty the new 6.7 and my hemi are really close in mileage, but I do have a reg cab and would never consider a long box quad cab with the hemi.

THe hemi is a work truck, a new 6.7 is going to the work truck and the toy
mover/hauler

Old 03-27-2009, 06:47 AM
'04 Cummins

Originally Posted by cyclone429
Who have you been talking to, With some minor mods like true dual ex, volant CAI, I'm pulling 22 mpg high way with light loads at 60 mph 1750 Rpm in 6th gear, Empty the new 6.7 and my hemi are really close in mileage, but I do have a reg cab and would never consider a long box quad cab with the hemi.

THe hemi is a work truck, a new 6.7 is going to the work truck and the toy
mover/hauler
What? 22 mpg? From a hemi? I don't mean to not beleive you, but I have never heard of any 3/4 ton V8 get much over 15. I mean 10-12 pulling a load is much more realistic. Is that hand caculated or going by the overhead? Why do you want a deisel? Sounds to me your pretty bias toward the hemi.

Last edited by '04 Cummins; 03-27-2009 at 06:50 AM.

Quick Reply: question on the new ctd..