Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

manual transmission hard shifting

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 06:49 PM
Heavy_Duty
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default manual transmission hard shifting

hey everyone, i just picked up a 1500 heavy duty deisel truck and i am having problems with the tranny, from a complete stop it goes into gear really hard and id have to force it , and when i get going it grinds into the rest of the gears, i dont think it is the clutch since it dosnt slip even if i floor it. can anyone give my an idea of what to look for. appriciate it guys.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:02 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 223 Likes on 208 Posts

welcome to DF...

sounds like your syncros are not working properly.

swap the fluid with a good synthetic like Red Line or Amsoil and see if that helps. you may just need a fluid swap. if that does not fix it, then i'd say you need a rebuild on it.

Old 04-12-2009, 10:47 AM
NickBeek
Record Breaker

I would check the clutch hydraulics first. If it is hard going into gear and shifting, it sounds like the clutch is not releasing properly.

Old 04-13-2009, 05:02 AM
Joel_MD
Captain

What is a "1500 heavy duty deisel truck"?

Like Steve said, it sounds like the synchros are worn out. It's possible you have a bad clutch slave cylinder, so the clutch does not completely disengage when you press the pedal all the way. A bad slave cylinder can actually cause the synchros to wear out because the engine is still turning the input shaft when you're trying to shift, which makes the synchros spin like crazy.

Old 04-15-2009, 04:34 PM
SmilingDon

I suggest lifting the rear end and placing on jack stands. Start the engine and let the wheels spin in second gear. Depress the clutch and hold it down. See if the rear wheels slow to a stop. If they do, then the clutch is fully disengaging. If not, then most likely the slave cylinder is not fully disengaging the clutch. Check the fluid level to make sure you are not trying to move the throwout bearing with air.

Old 04-17-2009, 01:15 AM
Heavy_Duty

thanks for all the info guys, i did check the fluid and its okay,, as for the other stuff im not really sure what to check., ill take it to a mechanic later and see what they have to say,

Quick Reply: manual transmission hard shifting