Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel
Old 08-14-2015, 05:26 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Steering & Suspension Guides
Print Wikipost

DIY Ball Joint Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 05:21 PM
smcmanus
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyEddie
Warning...Warning....when removing speed sensor be sure to use plenty of penetrating oil before hand, Do NOT just pry them out. YES i was very gentle but not gentle enough. the alignment shop said the outer collar of the speed sensor is still stuck in the hole of the hub so now i need to new speed sensors. $77 each and also take it all apart again to get to it to remove them. Wahoo!!!!!!!!!!! Can you say ammatuer mistake?
Don't feel too bad! It probably would have broken anyway.

Have a nice day
Steve

Old 09-12-2011, 05:38 AM
ChevyEddie

ok I got my 2 new speed sensors in, Thankfully i did not have to take everything apart. Just the breaks and rotor. I used a tool called an EZ out very gently and removed my damaged colars from the old spseed sensors. After installing the new ones i got scared i didnt fix the probelm cause when i started the truck the abs and brake light was still on. But then as soon a the truck rolled forwrd both lights went out.
So as if this dodge has not given me enough trouble, i put in a new radiator from advanced auto, and it leaks worse than the original. they said they would give me my money back but to bad for all my time and the "dodge radiator fluid". i am talking to the manager today to try to get the $22 bucks back on the fluid i wasted and i am going to Napa today to hopefully get a better radiator.
At least this time it wil go faster as i have already doen it once.
I am glad i found this forum, this process would have taken even longer with out it.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Boris1059

Nice write up, good pics. Helped me a bunch. I had to cut the axle nut off, it wouldn't budge. New nut was about 32.00 from Dodge. Just need the torque specs for my '99 4X4.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:25 AM
umbee

Hi Steve I was replaceing my ball joints and found that the bearing in the hub was no good. Can you replace the bearing ? If you can what's the best way. It's 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4. Thanks for any help

Old 02-07-2012, 08:29 AM
smcmanus

Originally Posted by umbee
Hi Steve I was replaceing my ball joints and found that the bearing in the hub was no good. Can you replace the bearing ? If you can what's the best way. It's 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4. Thanks for any help
Lots of Steves here!? I did mine recently. Yes, the bearings are replaceable. If you plan on keeping the truck, use good parts. My bearing were really stuck in there and none of the "tried-n-tru" methods worked so I took the spindles to a local heavy truck place and they pressed them out for me; twenty bucks, well spent!

I found a place on-line that had the good bearings for less than half the local parts store price. I can't remember the name.

Good Luck
Steve

Old 02-22-2012, 03:27 PM
lakerszack

Ok so I started trying to replace my ball joints yesterday. Everything went smoothly took the axles out had new u joints pressed in so on and so forth. I started to press the ball joints out and couldn't figure out which sleeves to use. So I went to oreillys and got the extra "4wd sleeves" for the press but I still cant figure it out. Now did you use a regular 1 in pipe coupling to press out the upper and lowers or just the uppers? Is there another press that I should be using for our trucks such as a heavy duty press? I read about one but Im not really sure where to get one or if there is such a thing. The truck Im working on is a 2006 4wd 2500 Dodge. I tried to press out the upper ball joint but i ended up just sending the stud through the top of the ball joint. Can I still press it out now? Any help would be awesome.
Thanks,
Zack

Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 PM
lakerszack

Nevermind I figured out a way. used a socket instead of a piece of pipe. I got all the ball joints in.
I looked at this write up two months ago. Just got around to doing it cuz I had to buy the parts one at a time. Now for the tie rods and shocks.

Old 02-23-2012, 06:38 AM
ChevyEddie

Nice Zack,
I had to do the same thing with my press, I am glad you got them in.
Just be smarter than me and dont break your wheel sensors

Old 04-26-2012, 04:31 PM
pillbox

thx, i need to change my u joints...will save this your a great help

Old 06-05-2012, 03:49 PM
rosco305999
Default Rumbling in front end after ball joint replacement

Hey guys,

I am wondering if anyone noticed a rumbling in their front end after replacing the ball joints. I just replaced my uppers, lowers, tie rod ends and shock absorbers and now it feels like the tires are rumbling. I am thinking maybe they are just out of balance. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Quick Reply: DIY Ball Joint Replacement