Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2001 Cummings 2500 Smoking after towing a large load.

Old 04-21-2011, 03:55 PM
Willber-Force
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Cummings 2500 Smoking after towing a large load.

Earlier today I was towing a heavy load in the form of a dump trailer loaded with sand. After about 10km I noticed what could be smoke coming out the back though I thought it could be dust. Later my suspicions were confirmed when there was a large burst of smoke and I pulled over. I looked around but couldn't see anything out of the ordinary though there was a burnt smell.

I run a small business and this truck is very important to me right now. I should take it in right away but finances are going to be tight for the rest of the month. I'm basically looking for some advice on what I should do or what the problem might be or if there's things I can check myself. I'm pretty handy and know my way around almost anything mechanical.

Additionally, for a 2500 I don't think it tows as well as it should. I hauled a 5th wheel camper trailer and sometimes it seemed to not have enough power to pull it up a hill and keep up with traffic. So there might be an issuer there though I've never driven anything to compare it with.

Anyway, thanks for any help that can be offered. I would be much appreciated.

Old 04-21-2011, 04:04 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,165 Likes on 2,919 Posts

What color smoke?

Old 04-21-2011, 04:26 PM
Willber-Force

I forgot to add that. I was going to say that it looked the same as if it was being started on a cold morning. So grey with a bluish tinge I would say.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:44 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya might look into your turbo.
I know that sometimes the oilers inside the turbo's give up, dumping oil into it, causing it to go kablewie.
BTW, you might also post this at the Cummins section.
We are mere gasser guys here.
Welcome to DF!

Old 04-21-2011, 06:49 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dodge dude94
Ya might look into your turbo.
I know that sometimes the oilers inside the turbo's give up, dumping oil into it, causing it to go kablewie.
BTW, you might also post this at the Cummins section.
We are mere gasser guys here.
Welcome to DF!
No need to post it again, I will move it over there for him.

Old 04-21-2011, 11:25 PM
Willber-Force

Thanks for moving the post for me.

You could be onto something with the turbo, DD. One of the odd things is that there are some points that you can put the peddle further down and it won't add any more power. Usually this happens when I'm towing or going up this really steep hill with a full tank of diesel. I thought it might be just an upper limit with the diesel though an odd one since if there's anything a 2500 should be able to do, is tow fairly well.

I can envision that a turbo not doing its job would make it harder to get more power out of the engine.

Though isn't there a sensor on it that might trigger some sort of alarm? All the dash indicator lights are out.

Is there a quick way to check my turbo?

I don't know if this is related but I think it could be so I'll add it. I bought the truck used and on the engine side of the air filter is the filter vacuum gauge to measure the wear (clogging) of the filter. To see what would happen I reset it and so far it hasn't moved a bit. I figured the gauge was broken/crappy but it could be that there is never enough demand to cause it to register anymore.

Old 04-22-2011, 06:20 AM
Tazman40
Professional

Them vacum gauges on the air filters are junk.Dont go by that.Have you pulled the air filter and looked at it.Sounds to me like you might have a real dirty air filter.If its almost plugged you will lose power,and it will smoke.If that gauge was showing red and u reset it than that filter is major dirty.I have only seen them gauges move with extreme dirt in filter.5.9s pull alot of air so you have to keep a eye on the air filter alot more than with a gas engine.

You could also pull the tube from the air filter to the turbo,its just 2 clamps,and look to see if that black tube has dust in it.If so it might be turbo time too.Reach down into the turbo and try to move the compressor wheel.It will have a very little movement but not alot.See if theres oil on the fins,any broken fins etc.See if it spins free.no binding,rubbing,it should be smooth.

I still lean to a air filter plugged.If it has good power around town and falls on the hills it fits the bill.Usually a bad turbo, it wont hardley pull a sitting hen off her nest.

Good luck.

Last edited by Tazman40; 04-22-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Willber-Force

I went out this morning and checked the things you mentioned. The black intake hose is clean, turbo spins with a slight bit of play and is nice and clean. The air filter however seems to be pretty dirty so I'll change that out today or tomorrow if I find an open store.

Thanks a lot for your help!

Old 04-22-2011, 10:21 AM
98Dakota
Rookie

you do not mention any gauge readings so i am assuming you don't have Fuel pressure or EGT or boost?? at any rate i would be changing the air and fuel filters first..then let us know what happens...but i would highly recommend u either installing a low fuel pressure warning setup or a fuel pressure gauge...those year of trucks are famous for lift pumps failing and taking out the injection pump with it which will cost you a couple of thousand bucks...many post on this site about it have a read ...

Old 04-22-2011, 10:42 AM
akguy09

"One of the odd things is that there are some points that you can put the peddle further down and it won't add any more power. Usually this happens when I'm towing or going up this really steep hill with a full tank of diesel."

The dead pedal symptom sounds like an APPS sensor, Google "Cummins dead Pedal" plenty of reading and might see the same symptoms you have

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2001 Cummings 2500 Smoking after towing a large load.