Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

2005 Ram 2500 noises

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 06:52 PM
neonknights
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Ram 2500 noises

2005 Ram 2500 Cummins 4x4 auto.
Noticed a noise from the front end about 2 months ago AFTER SPENDING 9 WEEKS IN LOCAL DEALER GARAGE TO REPLACE BOTH FRONT AND REAR RING AND PINIONS, SEALS, DRIVE SHAFTS, UPPER/LOWER BALL JOINTS, U-JOINTS AND AXLE SHAFTS AND........... Never mind.....past that now.
The noise seems to come only when the truck is "hot" highway driven only. Stop at light or sign, turn the wheel and slowly accelerate and there is a slight grinding noise as if it were a bearing or???? but only when turning, left or right does not matter, once above 10 mph it goes away. Does not happen when leaving a stop going straight. HATE to take back to dealer if there is a fix I can do.
Anyone experience similar issues?
Thanks!

Old 11-05-2009, 12:22 PM
apik1

I am having the same issue with my 04 2500 4x4 quad cab long bed, the dealer could not figure it out, they said they will start just changing parts at my expense! Let me know what you figure out, and ill do the same

Old 11-16-2009, 03:58 PM
neonknights

Dealer said the transfer case is binding.....the front pinion seal is leaking again so i will be taking it to the dealer today, will let you know what they find out!

Old 11-17-2009, 01:21 AM
tlawre87
Veteran

My old 01 ram did that occasionally. It was my U-Joint. It more did the pop and snap thing though. It could also be the wheel hub. Jack up the front end and check the wheel play and movement.

Old 11-17-2009, 02:10 AM
hemiguy0302
Record Breaker

Mine did the same thing but the front and rear tires were at slight ly different wear heights. New tires and the problem dissappeared.

Old 12-07-2009, 02:34 AM
bnjplus4

I have a 2003 2500 quad cab 4x4 and have the exact same issue only I hear it in the rear end. I have had the rear end looked at, they say its fine, replaced u joints and rebalanced driveshaft. I also get the noise when backing and turning when warm also. Real noisy after pulling heavy weight. Anxouis to hear what you find!!!

Old 12-07-2009, 11:40 AM
neonknights

Ok, so, they replaced the AAM front pinion seal that was seeping(again), they could not find the knocking noise sound etc.... picked truck up, while driving home I could hear the knocking, clanking noise but on top of that I am now experiencing a vibration at 60 65 70 etc...high speed vibration....took it back, took the shop foreman and service manager for a drive, they felt the vibration/noise and they now heard the clunking/knocking noise I was talking about, asked them to put it on the rack and run it in 4wd..... Transfercase was clanking like a blown rat motor......T-case shot to hell!!
The service Manager replaced the transfercase and that noise has been subdued.
I still have the vibration at "high" speeds. I have had 5 R&P's in that frickin front end and 3 in the rear. I do NOT drive stupid or abuse my truck in anyway. seems like every time they replace the pinion seal, something else goes wrong. the vibration was not there before they replaced pinion seal...... and the "beat" goes on!!!!!!!!!!!!
My name is Ram and I have a full tank but I spend most of my life at the dealer shop!!
Made another appt with dealer to hopefully settle vibration issue.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:03 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When the front drive line was rebuilt----if the yokes aren't in the same spot they were in relation to the driveline, you may be getting a vibration from that. I was warned before I did mine, and a simple white stripe down the drive line before I took it apart solved the possibility.

Old 12-07-2009, 12:37 PM
neonknights

Sounds like a damn good place for them to start. I also recommended that they remove the front driveshaft then take it for a drive.....! Troubleshooting seems to be thier weak point.
As many times as they have had this truck in their shop...The service Manager Albert Disch takes it in every time without a complaint and apologizes! Kudos to him @ Lithia Santa Fe, NM.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:17 AM
neonknights

Ok, new transfer case! The vibration was cleared up through the pinion race that was damaged from what I am assuming when they replaced the pinion seal they over torqued the thrust bearing or.....you know how some idiot shop monkeys like to use air guns instead or torque wrenches!!!!
Same "POP" and grind. Only happens when I am stopped, turn wheel about 5deg and accelerate or let it idle roll and the pop starts. I am on this too that it is a ujoint but.....every u-joint and driveshaft are brand new! Taking it in on the 22nd .....AGAIN!!!
MY NAME IS RAM, I LIVE IN THE DEALER SHOP, I TOW NOTHING AS I AM UNRELIABLE!!!

Quick Reply: 2005 Ram 2500 noises