Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

96 Dodge brake pedal to floor

Old 04-10-2009, 06:56 PM
Trophey Truck
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Dodge brake pedal to floor

When you think you know it all, then you realize you don't!

Just replaced front brake pads on 96 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins, bled brakes and now the brake pedal goes to floor after holding it for a second. If you pump it up a couple of times the brakes are come back up and they are good till you hold the brakes again. I have replaced the master cylinder with a rebuilt and bled the brakes and flushed with DOT 3 synthetic fluid. Brake lines are all good, no leaks. Obviously air is in the system. Any suggestions out there???

Old 04-11-2009, 07:57 PM
SpLaT
Captain

I would chnage out the flexable portion of the brake lines, they tend with age to swell, this could be the reason the pedal bottoms out. As you apply pressure the lines start to swell which requires more fluid hence pedal goes to the floor.

Old 04-11-2009, 11:14 PM
racer9
Veteran

I hope you have the motor running. The '96 has vacuum assist power brakes and when the vacuum drops so does the brakes. It's possible you have a booster issue, or vacuum pump issue.
Also, the bleeding procedure for ABS requires the brakes to be bled in an X pattern. IIRC it's RF,LR,RR,LF, but you may want to check a service manual.

Old 04-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Trophey Truck
Default good points to look at!

Thanks for the responses, I forgot about the rubber brake lines, I will check it out and look t the booster... and when I bleed the brakes I always start at the farthest point and work my way back to the shortest point, I will try the x pattern.

Thanks again.

Old 04-12-2009, 09:26 PM
dbavery

I have a 1996 ram 1500 2WD 5.2 V8. The brakes were fine except needed front pads. The last time it needed front brakes I put in rebuilt calipers, new rotors and pads. This time I pushed the caliper pucks in, put in new pads and had the rotors turned. I never opened the hydraulic system at all. After the brakes were in I started it and the brake petal went to the floor. I noticed the rear brake line was rusted and had a real small leak. Not enough to cause the brake petal to go to the floor. I replaced the line and bled the system. 2 person bleed. The petal still goes to the floor. Now the brake lights didn't come on after bleeding. Is this possibly my problem or is there something else I should be checking

Old 11-15-2012, 08:22 PM
1962CTDOD

I have the same issue with a 96 5.9 ram have tried everything I could think of please help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 96 Dodge brake pedal to floor