Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

idle and fuel

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 09:23 PM
foonst
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default idle and fuel

Hey guys,

I have a 2006 d0dge 2500 4x4 with the 5.9 cummins, which I love.

Since what seems like after a regular maintenance period (OC and fuel filter change), I have been seeing 2 issue arise. First, my truck always idles above 1000 (about 1200-1300 - always) whereas it used to idle well below that.
Second, it seems I'm losing fuel, and am not leaking any. According to the onboard computer, and rough math with fuel in the tank, I'm losing 20-30% of my fuel. basically, if based on DTE, MPG, ODO, and what I'm putting in my tank, fuel is mysteriously dissapearing. On an 75 mile round trip, computer will show my MPG at 23, but DTE down 100, and I'll have burned much an extra gallon of fuel, roughly. This is all based on observation over the past month or two.

While it has been cold here, it has only gotten below freezing twice, generally 40-60F when I'm driving it.

Anyways, any insight would be wonderful, tips on checking/testing on my own would be even more great! I have read stories about the injectors, so that has me scared, so I thought I'd come ask the pros!

Much Appreciated!

Edit: I almost forgot, if I don't let the truck idle for a good period of time, I'll get the headlights go bright/dim as I throttle/idle, for instance at a stop light or leaving a parking lot.

Last edited by foonst; 02-15-2010 at 09:38 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:04 PM
racer9
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not sure about the idle issue, unless it stops after warmup, in which case it's simply the automatic fast idle designed to allow faster warmup.
The fuel mileage issue is normal in winter. The fuel companies switch to a winter blend of fuel, also known as "dry fuel" which has additives to help prevent gelling. Use a good additive (Howes, FPPF, PowerService, Lucas, etc., or add 2 stroke oil) to help restore lost mileage.
The dimming lights is also normal, and is the grid heaters cycling. It will stop after a pre-set temperature, or speed, is reached.

Quick Reply: idle and fuel