Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Tranny stays in 3rd gear

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2010, 07:08 AM
Coal Train
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup, that's the 3-4 accumulator.

Old 03-25-2010, 12:02 PM
Aaron R.

Well, I'm done trying to fix this piece of junk. Put fluid in this morning and took it out for a test drive. Still having the exact same problem. This truck has been an expensive lesson in Chrysler quality. I'm taking it to the transmission shop and letting them deal with it. Then I think I will sell it and go back to my old Chevy trucks. Tired of throwing money and time at this thing and tired of it stranding me on the side of the road from either engine or transmission problems. The last 2+ years it has mostly sat in my driveway waiting on one repair or another while I drive my old chevy trucks. I can always count on them.

Old 04-07-2010, 11:05 AM
charcoal

Sorry to hear that Aaron.

Guys, maybe jumped to conclusion on this diagnosis.
He's saying the transmission is not shifting at all on its own, more than just an OD shift problem.
Keep in mind that these machines were hideously expensive when new and being used or bought cheap on the used market does not mean cheap to maintain as they wear out. Also, the 47RH and RE transmissions on average last only 100,000 miles between rebuilds unless running an external filter or changing fluids often.

Having said this, I just acquired a '95 3/4T 2wd 6BT auto with 206,000 miles and the OD does not shift in, but the rest of the tranny seems ok.
I have been driving around in a '94 1T 2wd 6BT NV4500 with 437,000 miles and in the last 75,000 miles only had to replace a fan thermostat and boot to keep the shutoff solenoid from falling apart. Oh, and tires...oil, filters, etc.
These are great machines once wrung out.

I will be attempting these DIY routines myself in efforts to restore operation.

Thanks for the contributions.
I'm new here, btw. Great site!
k

Old 10-22-2016, 01:47 PM
John-Paul Ward Pacheco
Default What Happened?

What was the conclusion from the tranny shop? I am experiencing similar problems at the moment.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:37 PM
Aaron R.

It was so long ago now I don't remember. I ended up having to rebuild the transmission a year or two later. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Tranny stays in 3rd gear