Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

looking for my first Diesel!

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2010, 12:59 AM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Default looking for my first Diesel!

Well, I finally started looking for my first diesel truck and of course dodge is the only way to go, Thanks to the Cummins
And I have a few questions before i get really deep into my search. I want a 2003-2007 model year, 5.9L. And I would be getting a good size lift eventually and it seems like all of them are for Automatic only, so if I wanted a 6speed (which i do), Would I be screwed over for lifting options?
This truck will be HEAVILY MODDED. So would an Auto or 6speed be better? Its not going to be just a street monster, It would take a lil "abuse" if you want to call it that. Offroading, Maybe a Truck pull or two.
Lastly what mods are the most effective? new turbo, Injectors ect?

THANKS in advance

Old 06-06-2010, 01:03 AM
95RAM360
Grand Champion
Received 45 Likes on 40 Posts

you could fabricate and make your 6spd shifter longer if need be....but with lifts, it keeps the body, and drivetrain the same...unless its a body lift....suspension lift shouldnt matter, because its all technically in the same spot, your just lifting the suspension with a lift kit.

Old 06-06-2010, 01:12 AM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran

Thats what I was thinking, But then again if the driveline changes angles wouldn't that affect where the shifter would be in the cab?

Old 06-06-2010, 12:54 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only thing that would affect the shifter location would be a body lift. The shifter is part of the transmission housing and stays with the frame.

As far as auto vs manual, the manual is at a disadvantage in drag racing, otherwise choose which ever you like. A weak point on the manual ('05.5-'07) is the clutch. It is really only good stock power. But an aftermarket clutch can cure that. As far as power upgrades, plan where you want to end up before you start modding. That will determine which mods you need.....

Old 06-06-2010, 05:41 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran

Originally Posted by NickBeek

As far as auto vs manual, the manual is at a disadvantage in drag racing, otherwise choose which ever you like
As far as power upgrades, plan where you want to end up before you start modding. That will determine which mods you need.....
Really? I thought a 6speed would be faster. hmm anyways this would be my first manual as a DD. I've drive stick before just not on a consistent basis , so would this truck be a wise choice for a first time driver using stick?
And for power. there never is enough haha. But I was thinking about chipping it, stacks for exhaust, CAI, Alcohol injection and throwing on a twin turbo. after that I think it should be pretty beefed up, but i don't know what i could put on after that.

Old 06-06-2010, 06:44 PM
cyclone429
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A 6speed man trans in the ctd or hemi is like driving a school bus, the transmisson is built for tourqe with low gearing, at higway speeds, the H/P moves the truck along verry smartly, but at the drag strip, automtic is quicker.

Old 06-06-2010, 07:20 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran

So for fast acceleration automatic is faster. but at higher speeds 65-75 Stick is faster? if I'm understanding correctly

Old 06-06-2010, 08:00 PM
NickBeek
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The auto is faster. The manual is better for towing in my opinion.

The manual trans in my truck is very easy to drive, if you can drive any manual, you can drive a manual Dodge easily.

Old 06-06-2010, 10:55 PM
URBANRDNECK
Veteran

Ok Sounds good. If I decide to put about a 6inch lift and 37's, would auto or manual be better?

Quick Reply: looking for my first Diesel!