Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Fuel Problem?? '05 3500 Dodge Cummins 5.9L Diesel

Old 05-12-2010, 08:40 PM
jf_07
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Well i got the head off and number six is scored all to hell as it means rebuild time. How are you making out???

Old 12-27-2011, 11:59 PM
Quadmethyl
Post Same problem but different?

2005 RAM 2500 with the 5.9L Cummins Turbo Diesel. On vacation 1000 miles from home. Just left a small shop in a strip mall getting breakfast, got back on the highway and a knock started along with billowing white smoke and a loss in power. I pulled the intake hose and checked the turbo. It still spins freely. I replaced the fuel filter, bled the system and started it up again. Still knocked. It starts fine and doesn't smoke at idle. I checked the oil that I had just changed about 1200 miles ago and its about an inch higher than the mark on the dipstick. The coolant also seemed low but that may have been pre-existing. Tomorrow I check the strainer on the tank lift pump, and try to find a IR gun to check the temp of the exhaust manifold journals to find one that is cool and then address that injector. I am a first time Diesel owner, have a decent amount of automotive knowledge except for my diesel ignorance. Any troubleshooting you guys have will be very welcome.

Old 07-03-2012, 01:42 PM
JFUBELE
Default I have a leak in my fuel filter housing. Help

I have a leak (small spray) coming out of the back of the cap on the fuel filter housing. It has blown my cap off once already and I had to replace the cap. I removed the housing to make sure it wasn't cracked at that particular place and it is not. The fuel shoots out between the cap and housing as the o ring is bulged out. Too much pressure in the housing? What could cause this? HELP please!

Old 07-03-2012, 01:45 PM
JFUBELE
Default I have a leak in my fuel filter housing. Help

I have a leak (small spray) coming out of the back of the cap on the fuel filter housing. It has blown my cap off once already and I had to replace the cap. I removed the housing to make sure it wasn't cracked at that particular place and it is not. The fuel shoots out between the cap and housing as the o ring is bulged out. Too much pressure in the housing? What could cause this? HELP please

Old 12-31-2012, 11:42 AM
Shad Vaughan
Default start up problem

hi my name is shad. i have an 05 dodge cummins. Recently it has had a hard time starting, when it fires it runs reely rough. seems not to be hitting on all cylinders. after about 5-8 minutes it runs fine and has no loss in power. but if the truck cools down again it doese the same thing. I could reely use some advice, i plan on fixing it myself but have never had a problem like this before with any of my trucks.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:21 AM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Shad Vaughan
hi my name is shad. i have an 05 dodge cummins. Recently it has had a hard time starting, when it fires it runs reely rough. seems not to be hitting on all cylinders. after about 5-8 minutes it runs fine and has no loss in power. but if the truck cools down again it doese the same thing. I could reely use some advice, i plan on fixing it myself but have never had a problem like this before with any of my trucks.

Shad,

Is the weather colder right now where you are from? Have you been using an engine block heater to warm the engine coolant and allow quicker starts. Not using an engine block heater will cause a rough start in cold weather.

The engine block heater cord is a factory installed option, however if the vehicle is not equipped, heater cords are available and can be installed at a Dodge dealer. The engine block heater cord would be routed under the hood to the right side and can be located just behind the grille near the headlamp.

Please note that the block heater must be plugged in at least one hour to have an adequate warming effect on the coolant. This information can be found on page 231 of the Owner's Manual.

I hope this helps.

Old 07-06-2013, 03:35 PM
kellerfarm2
Default 2005 dodge cummins that won't start

I bought this used with bad motor, was completely dusted, with broken rings in piston 4 and 6. I have completely rebuilt this motor. Replaced all 6 injectors, tested 4 and 6 were bad and 1 and 2 border line bad.
I was able to drive it to my shop after I bought it. When I went start the first time I heard load clicking noises,(from fuel relay and High pressure switch) no gauges, missed one ground wire. After review my pictures that I wired 2, 4, 6 injector wires inside valve cover backwards, still no start.. I can hear the lift pump working inside the tank. But I also hear the injector clicking inside valve cover with just on not turning the motor over...These injectors click for about 5 mins then stop. WIth one inject seeming to get more power than the rest. this rotates thru each injector.. with one injector having more power after cranking the motor over... I have also taken the high pressure senor off the mechanical pump and shaken it, it does not rattle like in a you tube video. According to a snap on code reader, all fuel pressures are correct. Have bleed fuel system at block several times... The batteries have gotten low and been on a charger. I also see a blinking red light at 5 o'clock below speedo. I only have a black key. no valet or pods.. I'm not getting mali function codes unless I unplug something. I work around these engines on farm, logging and trucking. I

Old 07-06-2013, 03:47 PM
kellerfarm2
Default 2005 dodge cummins that won't start

I bought this used with bad motor, was completely dusted, with broken rings in piston 4 and 6. I have completely rebuilt this motor. Replaced all 6 injectors, tested 4 and 6 were bad and 1 and 2 border line bad.
I was able to drive it to my shop after I bought it. When I went start the first time I heard load clicking noises,(from fuel relay and High pressure switch) no gauges, missed one ground . After review my pictures that I wired 2, 4, 6 injector wires inside valve cover backwards, still no start.. I can hear the lift pump working inside the. But I also hear the injector clicking inside valve cover with just on not turning the motor over...These injectors click for about 5 mins then stop. WIth one inject seeming to get more power than the rest. this rotates thru each injector.. with one injector having more power after cranking the motor over... I have also taken the high pressure senor off the mechanical pump and shaken it, it does not rattle like in a you tube video. According to a snap on code reader, all fuel pressures are correct. Have bleed at block several times... The batteries have gotten low and been on a charger. I also see a blinking red light at 5 o'clock below speedo. I only have a black key. no valet or pods.. I'm not getting mali function codes unless I unplug something. I work around these engines on farm, logging and trucking, but first diesel that I rebuilt... I found that valves that valves were over tight or open all the time as I tore down the motor. beside injectors and rings bad. They had removed the air cleaner, and placed a house hold water filter on the oil breather tube to catch all the blow by... it was a repo...

Attached Images  

Last edited by kellerfarm2; 07-06-2013 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-18-2015, 08:58 PM
Jmn1957
Default 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 diesel

[QUOTE=Coal Train;2120348]There a lot less than that when you ask the right people

Old 06-18-2015, 09:00 PM
Jmn1957

I am new here can someone please help me, I have a 2003 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9 cummins, it was smoking a lil and knocking I had all 6 injectors replaced and now it is smoking big time and blowing diesel fuel out exhaust tail pipe please help

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Problem?? '05 3500 Dodge Cummins 5.9L Diesel