Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

no bus in speedo

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 AM
ed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no bus in speedo

I have a no bus in the speedo. Also guages don't work. Engine light on. Any ideas how to fix?
Thanks , Ed

Old 08-12-2008, 04:06 PM
Parts/Service
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure what year your truck is, but I assume it was made before 2006. "NoBus" means that the instrument cluster is not communicating with the Powertrain Control Module. I assume you have not had it scanned for diagnostic trouble codes or you would have shared that info. The cluster, wiring, or PCM could be the cause. You would be best to get it scanned for codes and this will give you more info on how to proceed.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:18 AM
ed

It is a 2001 2500 Diesel. I'll have to get the codes
Ed

Old 08-13-2008, 10:42 AM
kolb7
Rookie

that same thing happened in my 99 ctd and it turn out to be a fuse bad somewher i don't remeber where though

Old 12-10-2009, 03:36 PM
jgaff
Amateur
Default 01 2500 CTD with nobus on odometer and not guages

I have a 01 2500 CDT that is getting a no bus message on the odometer. The gauges all quit working just before the nobus message occurred. I have checked the two instrument cluster fuses and they are fine. Disconnected the instrument cluster and checked the connections and put dielectric grease on them, checked the main wiring plug in below the dash, above and left of the clutch pedal and put dielectic grease on all the pins, and still no gauges and a no bus message. I ran the self diagnostic feature on the odometer and it came up with codes of 900,920,921,940,950 and 999. I ran a scan tool on it and it came up with P1698. Basically all these codes refer back to the no bus or that there is a communications failure.
That being said, does anyone else have any knowledge of what might be the problem or what you have done to fix this problem in the past? Thanks in advance!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:59 AM
jgaff
Amateur

I read in another post for the same problem on a Dakota to disconnect the battery and disconnect all three plugs from the PCM for two minutes. Not sure what that was supposed to do, but it did nothing for my problem. Does anyone have any experience with fixing this no bus fault? I am basically down to the Instrument Cluster or the PCM being the problem. I am wondering if it might be a bad solder joint on the instrument cluster because it happened the other day, but fixed it's self later in the day after it warmed up? It quit again yesterday afternoon and hasn't been back since. Any advice is appreciated! JGaff

Old 12-12-2009, 12:11 AM
jgaff
Amateur
Default PCM or Instrument Cluster?

I have done every test that the book has in it and everything that I have read on this forum and still can't figure out why I have a no bus or nobus fault on my odometer and none of my guages, tach or speedometer wil work. I guess that I am down to buying the instrument cluster or PCM and hoping that it is the right one, unless someone out there can tell me how to diagnose which of the two it is for sure. Does anyone know, can the dealership hook up to it and tell exactly which one it is with any of their equipment? Any help would be very much appreciated!!! Thanks, JGaff

Old 06-15-2010, 11:50 PM
solaman70592

I had the same symptoms with my 2001 Dodge Diesel, i would be driving down the road and the warning chine would ding 3 times and all gauges would go to dead and warning lights would all turn on and in the odometer display no buss would display. I pulled the inst. cluster and all connectors were connected, I checked all wires from the PCM to the Inst. Cluster they were ok. I finally found a thread on a fourm that said to check the connector in the fuse box under the hood. There is a Connector with a bolt through the top towards the engine, loosen the bolt spray the contact terminals with a contact cleaner and make and break the connection a few times. Respray the terminals a second time remake the connection and screw down on the bolt. You will notice that the bolt will tighten down to a point and then feel like it striped, don't worry it didn't. just snug it to that point. I have not had the no buss display since and that was over a year ago. Before I found that I was about to change out the PCM.

Old 06-20-2010, 05:45 PM
blynch

I have had the exact same problem on my 2001 CDT. i swapped PCM and didnt help. Ill try cleaning those terminals and hope for the best.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:17 PM
brettj2408
Captain

the pcm controls what the cluster/gauges read. get codes. my guess is your bus wire to your gauges are either shorted or open. code should tell you.

Quick Reply: no bus in speedo