Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

Power Loss When Turning Left

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2010, 11:31 PM
miknwv
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power Loss When Turning Left

Recently my 1999 Cummins started something odd.....when I turn either a sharp left turn while accelerating, or if I am going fast around a less sharp left turn while accelerating, the truck seems to have a brief power loss. It is frequent but doesn't do it every time and it ONLY does it in left hand turns. If I am in a straight stretch, hammer down while in torque lock and jerk the wheel to the left briefly, I feel the brief power loss, then after that no problems. I checked the batteries to make sure they're secure and they are...does anyone have any clue what would cause this?

A little background: The fuel filter is the type that is on the firewall in the canister and it was changed last year....I have been having either injector problems or pump problems for almost a year now because when the truck is cool it runs sluggish and silent with blue smoke, then when it warms up after a mile the typical loud cummins chatter is audible and it returns to normal pulling power.

Old 06-08-2010, 11:37 PM
pizzo
All Star

Sorry I cant think of anything that would cause that to happen.. Unless your low on trans fluid it may slip but I think that is a rt turn

Old 06-08-2010, 11:43 PM
miknwv
Veteran

It doesnt really feel like a slip, the RPMs stay stable, it just feels like there's a brief power loss with engine bog. I will check tranny fluid first thing in the morning though. Thanks for the input.

Old 06-13-2010, 10:34 PM
YAMAHARIDER5
Professional

I would bet its somthing in the clock spring or the igniton maybe somthing rubbing the steering colum and going to ground. just my .02

Old 07-06-2010, 06:05 PM
miknwv
Veteran

ended up being the lift pump...now i have a check valve leaking in the vp44, what would you guys advise? buy the check valve for the VP44 or install one in the fuel line elsewhere?

Quick Reply: Power Loss When Turning Left