Dodge/Ram Diesel Tech Discussions on all generations of Cummins Diesel powered Rams plus the new Eco Diesel

'99 2500 Ram Diesel Lift Pump Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Dvoeltz
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Now for the rest of the story. I did purchase the AirDog150 and spent the weekend puttering around and installing it. I only had about 5 gallons of fuel in the tank so I just put a longer hose on the fuel filter relief valve, opened it up and bumped the engine start to have the intake pump pump the tank dry for me.

I next attached the pump to the outside left frame member as I have an extended cab short box 2500 and there wasn't room for it on the inside of the frame. That part was relatively easy. I then started running the fuel lines. Since I have my fuel pressure sensor on the factory fuel filter canister, I called AirDog and asked if I could hook the fuel line to the canister instead of directly to the IP since I don't plan to trick it out and they said that is fine. I asked if I should remove the fuel filter and he said it is not necessary since the Air Dog will filter the fuel and the existing fuel filter should last a long time. So I decided to to it this way.

I then dropped the tank and the instructions said the new fuel feed could be mounted on about any flat space on the top of the tank. So I put it in the same location they showed on the instructions. This turned out to be a bad decision.

I hooked the fuel line on the feed, installed the return feed adopter and went to reinstalled the tank. I couldn't get the tank to get back up in position like it was before. So I stuck my head up there to see what was blocking the tank and discovered the fuel feed lined up perfectly with the back of the extended cab and was hitting the seam where the bottom and side of the cab mate.

So I had to drop the tank down, get out the sawzall, cut the seam on the bottom of the cab, and then bend the seam flat. Put the tank back up and all was well.

I finished the installation, put 5 gallons of fuel into the tank, fired up the truck, and had great pressure. It showed 15 PSI and didn't budge, even when I punched the throttle.

So I took it out on a 350 mile trip and it worked well. I did notice that I had better power when climbing hills with the cruise control on. Before it would lose power and slow down. Now it holds it speed as it should and holds the pressure right on 15 psi.

So I may now confident that my fuel pressure problems are behind me.

Dave in Pierre, SD

Old 10-02-2010, 10:57 PM
Evolution X

I think that I am having this probelm also but the damn stealership says that they cant find the problem and everything is fine. I know that everything is not fine and I still have an existing extended warranty. I have an 02 2500 with the lifter pump conversion. I told her that it may be the Inj pump and she says to print out where I found the info and bring it in. I would do the upgraded like you did but if I can get the warranty peeps to pay for it then why not. So here is my question............sometimes when I depress the throttle, it does not want to accelerate. I cant hear the turbo spool and it does this for 6-7 blocks or so. Then it kicks in and all is good. If I am towing my trailer, I lose alot of speed up hills. It sounds as though I am having the same problem you did. You guys have any suggestions?

Old 10-03-2010, 10:11 PM
Dvoeltz
Amateur

Do you have a fuel pressure gauge on your truck? I would see this type of hesitation when my fuel pressure fell below 3 PSI. Can they put a temporary fuel pressure gauge on your truck and see what the pressure is when the problem occurs? My dealer would give me the runaround and try to bullsh#$ her way around the problem. She swore the fuel pressure was fine but I didn't want to shell out $2000 for another injector pump.

Good luck with them. They will not put an after market pump on the truck, just their lousy factory pump.

Dave in Pierre, SD

Old 10-04-2010, 01:09 AM
Evolution X

Good question. Im going to be talking to them today and Ill ask if they can. It seems that they are ***** footing around the problem with me as well. If it keeps up Ill just see if I can go above her head to her boss to get the problem squared away. The good thing is that, when the did the lift pump for me, it only cost me 100 bucks. Ill update when I find out what they say

Old 10-20-2010, 06:41 PM
Evolution X

So I was told today that it is the injection pump . Not covered under the warranty that I have. So the dealer wants $2800. I aint givin that much. Ive done a search and can get Hotchkis Performance Fuel Injection Pump for about 1800. My question is, how hard is this install to do? Is there another pump I should go with? what else should I get? Thanks for any of the help that you can provide

Quick Reply: '99 2500 Ram Diesel Lift Pump Problems?